VMware Cloud Community
esxi1979
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

pwercli Vs Powershell

I have not used HyperV as much, how many % of powercli script will work for hyperv  as it is or how many cmdlets are same ? I am sure they do not have HA or DRS but something else for the same feature set, i wonder how will it will work for hyper V as MS release the Patches so often, do they have put host in maint mode... Any good doc link for the day-to-day life comparison for automation from Powercli Vs Powershell view ?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Comparing the set of Hyper-V cmdlets against the PowerCLI cmdlets, is like comparing apples and pears.

Both serve different platforms.

You will be able to reuse part of the logic from your scripts.

For example lifecycle management script will mostly look the same, except you will have to use different cmdlets.

As to books, there is the Microsoft Hyper-V PowerShell Automation book from Vinith which is quite good.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Comparing the set of Hyper-V cmdlets against the PowerCLI cmdlets, is like comparing apples and pears.

Both serve different platforms.

You will be able to reuse part of the logic from your scripts.

For example lifecycle management script will mostly look the same, except you will have to use different cmdlets.

As to books, there is the Microsoft Hyper-V PowerShell Automation book from Vinith which is quite good.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference