denjoh44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

powershell start-vm I copied it

when a start a vm with the command start-vm -vm xxx

i have a question:

Did you move this virtual machine, or did you copy
it?
If you don't know, answer "I copied it".

how respond to this question with the command powershell

thanks

7 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

Note: This discussion was moved from the Community Website Help community to the VMware vSphere™ PowerCLI  community.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

You can use the Get-VMQuestion and Set-VMQuestion cmdlets to retrieve and answer to the question.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
MartinAmaro
Expert
Expert

#Change your answer to whatever you need examplae Cancel or "I copied it"

#See http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/windowstoolkit/wintk40u1/html/Set-VMQuestion.html

$Error | where { $_.Exception -is [VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Types.V1.ErrorHandling.VmBlock
edByQuestionException] } | % { Get-VM -Id $_.Exception.VmId | Get-VMQuestion | Set-VMQuestion -Option "I copied it" }

Start-VM  -vm XX

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
chuckcolht
Contributor
Contributor

I've used this in v4.1 but on my v5.5 systems, "I moved it" doesn't work. I add a bunch of vms from a replicated datastore and then try to start them. Here are the relevant lines of code (unchanged between versions):

# $drVms is a list of all the vm objects

$drVms | Start-VM -Confirm:$false

# answer the vm questions

Get-VMQuestion | Set-VMQuestion -Option 'I Moved It' -Confirm:$false

I get:

Set-VMQuestion : 11/14/2013 11:48:00 AM    Set-VMQuestion        Option not found: 'I Moved It'.   

At line:1 char:32

+ Get-VMQuestion | Set-VMQuestion <<<<  -Option 'I Moved It' -Confirm:$false

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Set-VMQuestion], InvalidArgument

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Core_SetVmQuestion_GetChosenOption_OptionNotFound,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.SetVMQuestion

As you can see, I even tried matching the case from the question dialog. Tried all upper and all lower too but nothing works. I wish we could provide some definitive code for the answers rather than arbitrary strings. There should only be so many questions and possible answers. Maybe just an index into the radio buttons. That way the question set can be expanded without updating anything.

Is this form no longer supported? I'll try unwrapping this to get the vm object explicitly into the set-vmquestion command.

0 Kudos
chuckcolht
Contributor
Contributor

To add to my question, here is the data in the 'question':

> Get-VMQuestion | fl

VMId          : VirtualMachine-vm-292

VM            : lnxtest1

QuestionId    : _vmx1

Text          : This virtual machine might have been moved or copied. In order to configure certain management and networ

king features, VMware ESX needs to know if this virtual machine was moved or copied. If you don't know, a

nswer "I Copied It".

Options       : {Cancel, button.uuid.movedTheVM, button.uuid.copiedTheVM}

DefaultOption : button.uuid.copiedTheVM

Uid           : /VIServer=acs\da-cjc@w86sanpdhvc01:443/VirtualMachine=VirtualMachine-vm-292/VMQuestion=_vmx1/

ExtensionData : VMware.Vim.VirtualMachineQuestionInfo

The formatting here is messed up but it looks like the text is listing the message in the dialog, the Options should be the 'options' in the dialog and the default should be what ever that is (copied). Since one option is 'Cancel' but the others reference button uuids, this looks like a bug. I'm going to try this in v5.1.                       

0 Kudos
chuckcolht
Contributor
Contributor

OK, in v5.5.0, 1331820, you have to respond: "Cancel", "button.uuid.movedTheVM", or "button.uuid.copiedTheVM".

Seriously...

kevin8611
Contributor
Contributor

first, find out the value of option by using the command "$vm | Get-VMQuestion | fl"

In my enviroment, the command  "$vm | Get-VMQuestion | Set-VMQuestion -Option "button.uuid.movedTheVM" -Confirm:$false"  works out.