VMware Cloud Community
eisooit
Contributor
Contributor

new-vm with OSCustomizationSpec (linxux) A specified parameter was not correct: spec.identity.hostname

when i use the tenmlate and OSCustomizationSpec create a linux  vm ,I can't define the linux system name and i can't fine the parameter define this

An error occurred:

New-VM  -Template $Template -DiskStorageFormat Thin -Datastore $Datastore -Name 1000000 -OSCustomizationSpec $osCustomization  -ResourcePool $ResourcePool

New-VM : 2019/4/26 9:42:42 New-VM The operation for the entity "centos7.4_4c4g_100g_vmtools_yum_ntp_model" failed with the following message: "A specified parameter was not correct: spec.identity.hostname" 所在位置 行:11 字符: 2 + New-VM -Template $Template -DiskStorageFormat Thin -Datastore $Data ... + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [New-VM], InvalidArgument + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_TaskServiceImpl_CheckServerSideTaskUpdates_OperationFailed,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.NewVM

An error occurred
0 Kudos
1 Reply
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Try something like this.

It uses a temporary OSCustomizationSPec, that way you don't have to change the original.
Since the Customization Manager can't prompt you, you will have to provide the hostname via the NamingScheme and NamingPrefix parameters.

Get-OSCustomizationSpec -Name TempLinux | Remove-OSCustomizationSpec -Confirm:$false -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

$cust = New-OSCustomizationSpec -OSCustomizationSpec $osCustomization  -Name TempLinux -Type NonPersistent

$cust = Set-OSCustomizationSpec -OSCustomizationSpec $cust -NamingScheme fixed -NamingPrefix MyHost

New-VM -Name TestVMLinux -Template $template -Datastore $datastore -DiskStorageFormat Thin -VMHost $esx -OSCustomizationSpec $cust

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos