VMware Cloud Community
mmarzotto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

list VMDKs that are not eagerzeroedthick?

I am attempting to list all VMs in an environment that do not have their VMDKs eagerlyzeroed so i can convert said VMDKs to eagerlyzeroed.

The script I have so far is:

get-vm | get-view | %{

$name = $_.name

$_.Config.Hardware.Device | where {$_.GetType().Name -eq "VirtualDisk"} |  %{

if(!$_.Backing.eagerlyScrub){

"$name has a lazy zeroed thick provisioned disk" } } }

However, it returns each VMDK has a lazy thick provisioned disk even though I can verify there are a number of VMs that eagerly zeroed disks through the vsphere client.

Any suggestions on scripts that will be able to list VMs without eagerlyzeroed VMDKs?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mattboren
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello, mmarzotto-

You code worked for me in returning a "vmname has a lazy zeroed..." line for every non-eagerlyzeroed thick disk.  You say that this code is saying that every VM in your environment has all non-eagerlyzeroed thick disks?

You could quickly verify whether this code is producing the desired results by having it return items that _are_ eagerly scrubbed -- just remove the negation character (the "!") in the "if" statement (I did not post an example of that -- pretty straight forward).

And, just a suggestion about the speed of the code:  to have this run fast like, you could do away with the Get-VM call at the start.  So, like:

Get-View -ViewType VirtualMachine -Property Name,Config.Hardware.Device | %{

$name = $_.Name

if(!$_.Backing.EagerlyScrub) {"$name has a lazy zeroed thick provisioned disk"}
    }
## end foreach-object
} ## end foreach-object

You could combine a couple of the statements, to make it a bit shorter, and to have it return the VMs that have at least one non-eagerlyzeroed thick disk:

Get-View -ViewType VirtualMachine -Property Name,Config.Hardware.Device | `
    ?{
$_.Config.Hardware.Device | ?{($_ -is [VMware.Vim.VirtualDisk]) -and !$_.Backing.EagerlyScrub}} | `

select Name

Just a couple of suggestions.  Do those give the expected results of VMs that have at least one non-eagerlyzeroed thick disk?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mattboren
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello, mmarzotto-

You code worked for me in returning a "vmname has a lazy zeroed..." line for every non-eagerlyzeroed thick disk.  You say that this code is saying that every VM in your environment has all non-eagerlyzeroed thick disks?

You could quickly verify whether this code is producing the desired results by having it return items that _are_ eagerly scrubbed -- just remove the negation character (the "!") in the "if" statement (I did not post an example of that -- pretty straight forward).

And, just a suggestion about the speed of the code:  to have this run fast like, you could do away with the Get-VM call at the start.  So, like:

Get-View -ViewType VirtualMachine -Property Name,Config.Hardware.Device | %{

$name = $_.Name

if(!$_.Backing.EagerlyScrub) {"$name has a lazy zeroed thick provisioned disk"}
    }
## end foreach-object
} ## end foreach-object

You could combine a couple of the statements, to make it a bit shorter, and to have it return the VMs that have at least one non-eagerlyzeroed thick disk:

Get-View -ViewType VirtualMachine -Property Name,Config.Hardware.Device | `
    ?{
$_.Config.Hardware.Device | ?{($_ -is [VMware.Vim.VirtualDisk]) -and !$_.Backing.EagerlyScrub}} | `

select Name

Just a couple of suggestions.  Do those give the expected results of VMs that have at least one non-eagerlyzeroed thick disk?

0 Kudos
mmarzotto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

okay, that worked!

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos