VMware Cloud Community
jw4imtech
Contributor
Contributor

least security rights remote Powercli

Hi there,

Does anyone know the least security rights needed for execution remote powercli scripts?

I want to schedule reboot scripts using a service account.

I am now getting the error "Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password."

This errors appears with the command "Connect-VIServer"

We are using a vSphere 5.1 environment.

When I execute the vSphere client on the vCenter server, with the credentials of the service account, I can login.

With kind regards,

Jan Willem den Hartog

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not sure how you want to trigger such a reboot, are you considering Restart-VMGuest or a reboot inside the guest OS via the Invoke-VMScript cmdlet ?

The first option uses the RebootGuest method under the covers and requires the VirtualMachine.Interact.Reset privilege.

The 2nd one which is based on the StartProgramInGuest method doesn't seem to have any special privilege requirements.

Note that you will still need to basic privileges to connect and query the environment.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
jw4imtech
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

I want to reboot persistent VMWare View machines (in a manual pool) from a Connection Servers through scheduled tasks.

And yes I want to use the command RebootGuest.

Sorry that I was not clear enough, but what I meant was:

What are the least security privileges needed in Windows to connect to a vCenter Server and execute a GuestReboot command with Powercli.

0 Kudos