VMware Cloud Community
NucleusVM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

install vmtools on a vmguest remotely and silently

For various reasons, I have a list of vmguests that don't have vmtools installed. I want to somehow automate the process of installing vmtools on them, but it's a bit difficult because I can't use powercli commands in the vmguest operating system. (Linux or windows)

I was thinking psexec and plink but I was wondering if there was a better, more efficient way of doing this. Keep in mind this is not for updating vmtools. I need to install vmtools on a vmguest, remotely and silently.

How would you do this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This is a chicken-and-egg question, you can't inse Invoek-VMScript without VMware Tools.

My personal preference is to include the VMware Tools already in the templates, that way I only need to update.

But in your case you have to handle VMs that are alreayd created, so yes, psexec or an ssh session are your best options.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This is a chicken-and-egg question, you can't inse Invoek-VMScript without VMware Tools.

My personal preference is to include the VMware Tools already in the templates, that way I only need to update.

But in your case you have to handle VMs that are alreayd created, so yes, psexec or an ssh session are your best options.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos