VMware Cloud Community
johnjohnjjj
Contributor
Contributor

how to upgrade my powercli 5.5 release 1 to be powercli 5.5 release 2 with build number 2068190

I have PowerCli 5.5 release 1 installed inside windows server 2008 r2. now I want to upgrade it to be 5.5 release2 build number 2068190. I found the upgrade at this page link 5.5 release 2 upgrade but not sure which file I need to download and how I can apply the upgrade ? Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
tjurgens
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You seem to have PowerCLI confused with ESXi.

That link is for ESXi 5.5u2, not PowerCLI.

PowerCLI is specifically the PowerShell commands you can use to administer your vSphere installation.  You can run PowerCLI 5.1 on a vCenter 6.0 server if you really wanted, you'd just lose out on newer PowerCLI commands.

The latest PowerCLI is 6.0 R1, which is compatible with older vCenter/ESXi installations.  If you are upgrading your PowerCLI installation, I'd suggest upgrading to that - which you can find here: https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/get-download?downloadGroup=PCLI600R1

0 Kudos
johnjohnjjj
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the reply. now for me i only need powercli command as i need to run some command to monitor our vms. but currently i have powercli version 5.5 release1 as follow:-

powerclii.png

and i want to upgrade it to 5.5 release 2 build 2068190 and not to version 6 as this is the version we use all over our company ,, so how i can do so ?

johnjohnjjj
Contributor
Contributor

ok now i download it from :-

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/get-download?downloadGroup=PCLI550R2

but when i try to install it i got this error "installation cannot continue, please close the Microsoft internet explorer browser" although i do not have any browser opened ...:-

vmwarrelogin plugin.png

i also noted something is that this link https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/get-download?downloadGroup=PCLI550R2 will provide build number 1931983  while i need build number 2068190 which is not available ? can you adivce please?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Where did you see this PowerCLI Build number? The build numbers for ESXi, and PowerCLI are not necessarily the same ones.

Regarding the IE message, please check whether an instance of IE is still in running (check in Task Manager). It's also not uncommon that IE requires a few moments to "shut down" after you close the browser window.

André

0 Kudos
johnjohnjjj
Contributor
Contributor

i was informed by the system admin team that the powercli version is 2068190 ? so you mean this is not for the powercli ? now i have powercli 5.5 release 1... so what is the available build number for release 2?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The available PowerCLI versions/builds are available from the VMware Developer Center

For changes in the different versions see VMware vSphere PowerCLI Change Log

To answer your question: VMware vSphere PowerCLI 5.5 Release 2 Patch 1 is build number 1931983.

André

0 Kudos
salimGangji
Contributor
Contributor

Be sure to check if internet explorer is running in any of the other RDP sessions to the server

Before upgrading the vmware remote console plugin you have to ensure that all of the internet explorer, chrome and firefox processes are closed 

The easiest way to do that is to sign everybody else off of the server while the upgrade is taking place

in as the adminstrator of the server and open the task manager > users tab and sign off all other users during the maintenance

when users don't close their RDP session properly by runing logoff they leave processes like internet explorer and firefox running in the background, and this is the result.

0 Kudos