VMware Cloud Community
ekrejci
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

how to modify vSphere power policy with powercli

Hi,

I'm looking a way to modify the power management settings for the hosts with powercli.

switching between the 4 policy and getting info on hosts having this capability.

I didn't find anything so far

any clue?

thanks

Eric

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

To get info on the current settings of your hosts:

Get-VMHost | Sort | Select Name,

@{ N="CurrentPolicy"; E={$_.ExtensionData.config.PowerSystemInfo.CurrentPolicy.ShortName}},

@{ N="CurrentPolicyKey"; E={$_.ExtensionData.config.PowerSystemInfo.CurrentPolicy.Key}},

@{ N="AvailablePolicies"; E={$_.ExtensionData.config.PowerSystemCapability.AvailablePolicy.ShortName}}

Name                                               CurrentPolicy                                                                 CurrentPolicyKey   AvailablePolicies

----                                                           -------------                                                                 ----------------                     -----------------

esxihost0021.domain.local                        static                                                                                       1  {static, dynamic, low, custom}

esxihost0022.domain.local                        static                                                                                       1  {static, dynamic, low, custom}

esxihost0033.domain.local                        off                                                                                            0  static

esxihost0034.domain.local                        off                                                                                            0  static

esxihost0041.domain.local                        static                                                                                       1  static

esxihost0062.domain.local                        dynamic                                                                                  2  {static, dynamic, low, custom}

esxihost0063.domain.local                        dynamic                                                                                  2  {static, dynamic, low, custom}

Note: CurrentPolicy off indicates that the host does not support OS-controlled power management or you set the host BIOS to a specific power management policy like static high performance already.

To set the power policy for a host:

$view = (Get-VMHost esxihost24.domain.local   | Get-View)

(Get-View $view.ConfigManager.PowerSystem).ConfigurePowerPolicy(X)

Where X equals the key of the policy you want to set (1=static, 2=dynamic, 3=low, 4=custom)

-- http://alpacapowered.wordpress.com

View solution in original post

7 Replies
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

To get info on the current settings of your hosts:

Get-VMHost | Sort | Select Name,

@{ N="CurrentPolicy"; E={$_.ExtensionData.config.PowerSystemInfo.CurrentPolicy.ShortName}},

@{ N="CurrentPolicyKey"; E={$_.ExtensionData.config.PowerSystemInfo.CurrentPolicy.Key}},

@{ N="AvailablePolicies"; E={$_.ExtensionData.config.PowerSystemCapability.AvailablePolicy.ShortName}}

Name                                               CurrentPolicy                                                                 CurrentPolicyKey   AvailablePolicies

----                                                           -------------                                                                 ----------------                     -----------------

esxihost0021.domain.local                        static                                                                                       1  {static, dynamic, low, custom}

esxihost0022.domain.local                        static                                                                                       1  {static, dynamic, low, custom}

esxihost0033.domain.local                        off                                                                                            0  static

esxihost0034.domain.local                        off                                                                                            0  static

esxihost0041.domain.local                        static                                                                                       1  static

esxihost0062.domain.local                        dynamic                                                                                  2  {static, dynamic, low, custom}

esxihost0063.domain.local                        dynamic                                                                                  2  {static, dynamic, low, custom}

Note: CurrentPolicy off indicates that the host does not support OS-controlled power management or you set the host BIOS to a specific power management policy like static high performance already.

To set the power policy for a host:

$view = (Get-VMHost esxihost24.domain.local   | Get-View)

(Get-View $view.ConfigManager.PowerSystem).ConfigurePowerPolicy(X)

Where X equals the key of the policy you want to set (1=static, 2=dynamic, 3=low, 4=custom)

ekrejci
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

excellent.

works like a charme.

thank you very much

Eric

0 Kudos
RebeccaG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Very nice answer, thank you!

0 Kudos
PhillipUdel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I guess I missed something.   I see how to set to static,  but how do I set to High Performance?

0 Kudos
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

"static" is the alias name for the "Static High Performance" power management policy.

gajuambi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here is an onelier to get this done on all hosts of your vcenter

(Get-View (Get-VMHost | Get-View).ConfigManager.PowerSystem).ConfigurePowerPolicy(1)

Where

1=HighPerformance

2=Balanced

3=LowPower

---------------------- Gajendra D Ambi [pardon my chat lingo]
Kirhner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks man. Works excellent.

I like simple code in one line.....

0 Kudos