VMware Cloud Community
Foker
Contributor
Contributor

how to combine cmdlets and output

I am sure there is a way to do this but im new to powershell.  I would like to know how to combine get-vm and get-disk results so i can output to one line per server.  The only way i saw so far was 3 seperate loops one for get-vm info one for get-disk and one for extensiondata.guest.disk info (part of get-vm but seperate).  I have removed them sense that made output to a csv look like crud.  I currently am pulling the values per machine which give me multiple values for disk for example and diskpath etc and i want to out put them independently but all on one line per server.  So server1 i would like to get all disk, vm info, extension data and put it in different cells but one line if possilbe.  Also the ability to format the data with /1 gb etc switches would be nice.  Right now extension data is as is or i get a system error about operator not found naming the math operator i as trying to use division in particular since kb is not pretty to read for disk space.

Here is the working sample not pretty but works.  Is there a way to do combine the cmdlets so output will be easier.  Right now i can't format some of the data since it is a system object vs the seperate values for each object if that makes sense.

$LogFile = $LogPath + (Get-Date -Format "yyyy-MM-dd_HHmmss-") + "VcVmDiskInfo.csv"
"Virtual Center VM Information " + "`r`n" | Out-File $LogFile -Append
"Name `t Host `t DataStore `t Provisioned Space `t Used Space `t Disk Name `t VmDK Name `t Format `t Persistence `t DiskType `t Capacity GB `t Partition Path `t Capacity GB `t Free Space `n" | Out-File $LogFile -Append

Import-CSV $importCSV | Foreach-Object{
    $strComputer = $_.computer

$VM = get-vm $strComputer | Select name,VmHost,ProvisionedSpaceGB,UsedSpaceGB,DatastoreIdList,ExtensionData,guest,disk
$Disk = Get-HardDisk $strComputer | Select filename,storageFormat,persistence,disktype,Capacitykb,name
#Write-Host $vm.name $disk.storageformat.count $vm.DatastoreIdList

foreach($object in $VM){

$Name= $object.name
   $vmhost = $object.vmhost
   $datastoreidList = $object.datastoreidList
   $provisionedspacegb = $object.provisionedspacegb
   $usedspacegb = $object.usedspacegb
   $output = "$name `t $vmhost `t $datastoreidlist `t $provisionedspacegb `t $usedspacegb `t"

$vmdk = $disk.filename
    $DiskFormat = $disk.storageFormat
    $DiskPersistence = $disk.persistence
    $DiskType = $disk.disktype
    $Capacity = $disk.capacitykb
    $diskName = $disk.name
    $vmdiskpath = $VM.extensiondata.guest.disk.diskpath
    $vmdiskcapacity = $VM.extensiondata.guest.disk.capacity
    $vmdiskfreespace=$VM.extensiondata.guest.disk.freespace

#$capacityGB = "{0:N2}" -f ($disk.Capacity /1024/1024)

$output = $output + "$diskName `t $vmdk `t $diskFormat `t $DiskPersistence `t $DiskType `t $Capacity `t $vmdiskpath `t $vmdiskcapacity `t $vmdiskfreespace" | Out-File $logfile -Append
    }

}

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

If you want the output in a CSV file, the easiest way is to use a Select-Object cmdlet.

On the Select-Object cmdlet you can select the properties from the object that was fed into the cmdlet ($vm in this case), but you can also use "calculated properties" to do in fact whatever you want. Such as retrieving values from other objects (the $hd for example).

Since the outer loop is a ForEach, there will be no objects in the pipeline. To force that the script uses the call operator (&).

$LogFile = $LogPath + (Get-Date -Format "yyyy-MM-dd_HHmmss-") + "VcVmDiskInfo.csv"

&{Import-CSV $importCSV | %{

$vm = Get-Vm $_.computer

$hd = Get-HardDisk -VM $vm

$vm | Select Name,VMHost,DatastoreIdList,ProvisionedSpaceGB,UsedSpaceGB,

@{N="DiskName";E={$hd.Name}},

@{N="DiskFormat";E={$hd.StorageFormat}},

@{N="Persistence";E={$hd.Persistence}},

@{N="DiskType";E={$hd.DiskType}},

@{N="CapacityGB";E={[math]::Round(($hd.Capacity/1GB),2)}},

@{N="VMDK";E={$hd.FileName}},

@{N="VMDiskPath";E={$_.extensiondata.guest.disk.diskpath}},

@{N="VMDiskCapacity";E={$_.extensiondata.guest.disk.capacity}},

@{N="VMDiskFreeSpace";E={$_.extensiondata.guest.disk.freespace}}
}}
| Export-Csv $LogFile -NoTypeInformation -UseCulture

Note that this script will have problems when you have VMs that have more than 1 harddisk.

In that case you need an additional loop over all the harddisks.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
Foker
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks i'll play with this.  I was close but the formating in the script is one area i went wrong.  I was doing old shcool vbscript type format then output.   What is the call operator that threw me haven't see that one yet. 

0 Kudos
Foker
Contributor
Contributor

how would i get the loop to keep adding to the output?  the select puts the info in the cells but how do i get @{n="DiskName";E= for example to append to what the select statement added.  I tried to add a foreach under that for $hd and i was back where i started pretty much. 

$vm | Select Name,VMHost,DatastoreIdList,ProvisionedSpaceGB,UsedSpaceGB,

@{N="DiskName";E={$hd.Name}},

@{N="DiskFormat";E={$hd.StorageFormat}},

@{N="Persistence";E={$hd.Persistence}},

@{N="DiskType";E={$hd.DiskType}},

@{N="CapacityGB";E={[math]::Round(($hd.Capacity/1GB),2)}},

@{N="VMDK";E={$hd.FileName}},

@{N="VMDiskPath";E={$_.extensiondata.guest.disk.diskpath}},

@{N="VMDiskCapacity";E={$_.extensiondata.guest.disk.capacity}},

@{N="VMDiskFreeSpace";E={$_.extensiondata.guest.disk.freespace}}

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not 100% sure I understood the question correctly, but the Select cmdlet should be in the inner ForEach loop.

Something like this

Foreach($vm in $vms) {

foreach($hd in Get-HardDisk -VM $vm){

Select ....

}

}

This of course will mean that the same VM information will appear in each row for each harddisk of that VM.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos