VMware Cloud Community
AlexK9
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

help with converting snapshot size report to integer

hi folks,

just getting started with PowerCLI and have pieced together a scipt to email me a list of snapshots (I realize there are many pre-canned scripts that do this). the script works as intended, but the SizeMB variable includes 19-20 decimal places which makes it a little hard to read.

scirpt line in question:

$Report = get-vm | get-snapshot | select vm,powerstate,name,sizemb | ConvertTo-Html -head $a | Out-String

sample output:

VM

PowerState

Name

SizeMB

Test Cluster

PoweredOff

Before Installing Drivers

MAX-DEV

PoweredOn

3-6-2013

full script below. can someone suggest an easy way to round or truncate the snapshot size to an integer?

Thank you,

alex

add-pssnapin VMware.VimAutomation.Core
Connect-VIServer foo.bar.com
$vCenterSettings = Get-View -Id 'OptionManager-VpxSettings'
$MailSender = ($vCenterSettings.Setting | Where-Object { $_.Key -eq "mail.sender"}).Value
$MailSmtpServer = ($vCenterSettings.Setting | Where-Object { $_.Key -eq "mail.smtp.server"}).Value
$a = "<style>"
$a = $a + "BODY{font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:11;font-color: #000000}"
$a = $a + "TABLE{border-width: 1px;border-style: solid;border-color: black;border-collapse: collapse;}"
$a = $a + "TH{border-width: 1px;padding: 0px;border-style: solid;border-color: black;background-color: #04B45F}"
$a = $a + "TD{border-width: 1px;padding: 0px;border-style: solid;border-color: black;background-color: #BCF5A9}"
$a = $a + "</style>"
$Report = get-vm | get-snapshot | select vm,powerstate,name,sizemb | ConvertTo-Html -head $a | Out-String
Send-MailMessage -from $MailSender -to "me@foo.bar.com" -subject "SoE vCenter Snapshot Report" -body $Report -BodyAsHtml -smtpServer $MailSmtpServer
Exit

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Try changing this line

into this

$Report = get-vm | get-snapshot | select vm,powerstate,name,@{N="sizemb";E={[math]::Round($_.SizeMb,2)}} |

ConvertTo-Html -head $a | Out-String

With a calculated property you can do calculations or modifications on the property you want to display

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Try changing this line

into this

$Report = get-vm | get-snapshot | select vm,powerstate,name,@{N="sizemb";E={[math]::Round($_.SizeMb,2)}} |

ConvertTo-Html -head $a | Out-String

With a calculated property you can do calculations or modifications on the property you want to display

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
AlexK9
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi LucD,

That worked, thanks for the thoughtful and timely response, this calculated property is exactly what I needed.

Much apprecaited,

alex

0 Kudos
AlexK9
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After LucD got me going in the right direction, I added a column for snapshot age and sort function to list by snapshot size:

$Report = get-vm | get-snapshot | select vm,powerstate,name,@{Name="Age Days";Expression={((Get-Date)-$_.Created).Days}},@{N="Size MB";E={[math]::Round($_.SizeMb,0)}} | sort "Size MB" -Descending | ConvertTo-Html -head $a | Out-String

0 Kudos