VMware Cloud Community
PA3CRZ
Contributor
Contributor

get-tagassignment error after vcenter upgrade

We have two datacenters and thus two vCenter environments. Recently one DC received an update from vCenter 7.0.1 to 7.0.2. The other one is still on 7.0.1.
On the upgraded environment the get-tagassignment and get-tag commands now error out :

get-vm alani001|get-tagassignment

Get-TagAssignment: 3/23/2021 1:13:50 PM Get-TagAssignment               com.vmware.vapi.std.errors.operation_not_found {'messages': [com.vmware.vapi.std.localizable_message {'id': vapi.method.input.invalid.interface, 'default_message': Cannot find service 'com.vmware.cis.data.svc.resource_model'., 'args': [com.vmware.cis.data.svc.resource_model], 'params': , 'localized':}], 'data': , 'error_type': OPERATION_NOT_FOUND}

Is this a known issue, and if so, what can we do to resolve this, please ?

Before I forget, I tried this on both PowerCLI on Windows (v. 6.5.1) and Linux (v. 12.0). Both go wrong....

0 Kudos
20 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Is your environment and vCenter configured in En-US or a local language?
PowerCLI 6.5.1?
That is a very old version, I suggest you upgrade that version.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Does the error return after you stop your PowerShell/PowerCLI session and start it again?

0 Kudos
PA3CRZ
Contributor
Contributor

Already asked our Wintel guys to hurry up and upgrade PowerCLI asap......🙄

But..the error also occurs when I do the same on Linux in Powershell Core and PowerCLI 12.0.0

vCenter is configured EN-US.

And yes, after starting a fresh powershell session and reissuing the command get-vm alani001 | get-tagassignment, I do get the right output, but only in Linux, NOT in Windows...

I'm curious why you asked that question, and more curious to the solution it leads to...

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

There have been cases reported when a PS/PowerCLI got corrupted, and a restart helped.

I'm afraid I have no solution, I would advise opening an SR.

0 Kudos
degvm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We ran into same issue after VSCA 7.0.2 upgrade, we are going to open SR.

PS W:\> get-tagassignment
get-tagassignment : 4/8/2021 10:13:23 AM Get-TagAssignment com.vmware.vapi.std.errors.operation_not_found {'messages': [com.vmware.vapi.std.localizable_message {'id':
vapi.method.input.invalid.interface, 'default_message': Cannot find service 'com.vmware.cis.data.svc.resource_model'., 'args': [com.vmware.cis.data.svc.resource_model], 'params': ,
'localized':}], 'data': , 'error_type': OPERATION_NOT_FOUND}
At line:1 char:1
+ get-tagassignment
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-TagAssignment], CisException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Impl.V1.Service.Tagging.Cis.TaggingServiceCisImpl.GetTagAssignment.Error,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.Tagging.GetT
agAssignment

0 Kudos
Renturem
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, we have the same problem. After upgrading vCenter 7.0.1 to 7.0.2 we can not read or write the tags. All other information like name, network, notes we can read.

Different PowerShell versions on Windows 10, Windows Server and linux clients tried. All have the same issue:

PS V:\> (Get-TagAssignment -Entity $vm -Category "Administator").Tag
Get-TagAssignment : 21.04.2021 15:09:09 Get-TagAssignment Der Wert darf nicht NULL sein.
Parametername: collection
In Zeile:1 Zeichen:2
+ (Get-TagAssignment -Entity $vm -Category "Administator").Tag
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-TagAssignment], VimException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Core_BaseCmdlet_UnknownError,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.Tagging.GetTag
Assignment

PS V:\> Get-TagAssignment -Entity $vm
Get-TagAssignment : 21.04.2021 15:10:17 Get-TagAssignment com.vmware.vapi.std.errors.operation_not_found {'messages':
[com.vmware.vapi.std.localizable_message {'id': vapi.method.input.invalid.interface, 'default_message': Cannot find
service 'com.vmware.cis.data.svc.resource_model'., 'args': [com.vmware.cis.data.svc.resource_model], 'params': ,
'localized':}], 'data': , 'error_type': OPERATION_NOT_FOUND}
In Zeile:1 Zeichen:1
+ Get-TagAssignment -Entity $vm
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-TagAssignment], CisException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Impl.V1.Service.Tagging.Cis.TaggingServiceCisImpl.GetTagAssi

gnment.Error,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.Tagging.GetTagAssignment

0 Kudos
degvm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Updating to Powercli 12.3.0 solved the issue for us.:

https://code.vmware.com/web/tool/12.3.0/vmware-powercli

0 Kudos
Renturem
Contributor
Contributor

No changes 😕. The Powercli-Module was on Windows-client already with version 12.3.

PS V:\> Find-Module *powercli

Version Name Repository Description
------- ---- ---------- -----------
12.3.0.... VMware.PowerCLI PSGallery This Windows PowerShell module contains VMware.P...

Also tried with downloaded powercli-Script 😞

0 Kudos
BjornJohansson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not sure if it helps, but I ran upgrade with -force parameter and it didn't work until I rebooted the machine. 

0 Kudos
Renturem
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. First -force install grumbles some of the modules are in use. Reboot, install again with -force no problems. Reboot again. Now it works.

0 Kudos
VitaliyKovalen1
Contributor
Contributor

hello

our vcenter was updated to 6.7.0.48 and "get-tag" command have the same error. 

1. powercli on pc was updated to 12.3

2. pc rebooted 

result: not successful

3. deleted vmware Modul - rebooted pc - install vmware modul - rebooted pc

result: not successful again

pls help

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I suggest opening an SR

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion

PA3CRZ,
Did you open an SR? What's the status now?

Lars

0 Kudos
jrodriguez007
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone been able to find a way to get this working. I am having the same issue. 

0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion

jrodriguez00,

Not sure what OP did, but I opened SR 21235836807 and support has opened a PR with engineering.

Lars

larstr
Champion
Champion

It seems that the tag commands work fine on Windows Server 2019, but not on 2012R2.

Lars

0 Kudos
thomku
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, has anyone found a solution for this? We still have this problem by using PowerCLI 12.4.0.18633274 and Windows Server 2016. Thanks for any help

0 Kudos
Renturem
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe this has something to do with the Powershell version.

On Server 2012R2 you get

> $PSVersionTable.PSVersion

Major Minor Build Revision
----- ----- ----- --------
5 0 10586 117

Windows 10 (1909):  5 1 18362 1801

Windows 10 (21H1):  5 1 19041 1320

Server 2019: 5 1 17763 2268

Linux ($ pwsh --version): PowerShell 7.2.0

Server 2012 R2 is out of date. I cannot test which version you have on Server 2016.

thomku
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

thanks for your reply. You're right, after I updated the Powershell version the script works again.

$PSVersionTable.PSVersion

Major Minor Build Revision
----- ----- ----- --------
5 1 14393 4583

0 Kudos