VMware Cloud Community
quenish
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

get basic stats for hosts and datastores

Hi all,

I'm totally new to vcenter and power shell, so please be gentle on my stupid questions. I am desperate to compile a script to obtain the weekly stats for host memory, vcpu count and datastore space and export it to a csv file. So very basic numbers for each host and datastore. Below is what I've got so far based on LucD's generous blogs. It'd be great if any of you can help me realize what's wrong...:smileysilly:

It took a lot of time for me to figure out what parameters I needed and I'm pretty sure that they are correct, but the syntax is killing me now. Basically I realize there's something wrong with my variables since nothing exported to the desired file, but I'm not sure how to define the variables and their attributes. And the error was "cannot overwrite variable host because it is read-only or constant", so as the other properties like "name", "mem", etc.

Connect-VIServer -server xxx.com -user xxx -password xxxx

$allhosts = @()

$hosts = Get-VMHost

$allds = @()

$datastores = Get-DataStore

foreach($vmHost in $hosts){

$host = ""| Select "name","mem","vcpu"

$host.name = $vmHost.Name

$host.mem = Get-Stat -Entity ($vmHost) -start (Get-Date).AddDays(-1) -Finish (Get-Date) -MaxSamples 1 -Stat "mem.consumed.average" |  select -ExpandProperty Value

$host.vcpu = Get-VM -Location ($vmHost) | Where-Object {$_.PowerState -eq "PoweredOn"} | Measure-Object -Property NumCpu -Sum |  select -ExpandProperty Sum

$allhosts += $host

}

$allhosts | Export-csv -NoTypeInformation C:\host.csv

foreach($dataStore in $datastores | Where-Object {$_.name -like "xxxx*"}){

$dsName = $dataStore.Name

$provspace = Get-Stat -Entity ($dataStore) -Start (Get-Date -Hour 9 -Minute 0 -Second 0) -Finish  (Get-Date -Hour 10 -Minute 0 -Second 0) -IntervalSecs 30000 -Instance '' -stat disk.provisioned.latest | select -ExpandProperty Value

$freespace = $datastores | Select-Object Name, FreeSpaceGB

}

$allds | Select DataStorename, provspace, freespace | Export-csv -NoTypeInformation C:\datastore.csv

Thank you in advance!!!

-LX

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unfortunately you have picked a PowerShell reserved name for the name of the variable.

The variable  $host is not allowed.

Pick any other name, and the script should be ok

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unfortunately you have picked a PowerShell reserved name for the name of the variable.

The variable  $host is not allowed.

Pick any other name, and the script should be ok

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
quenish
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you so much LucD! I just changed the variable name and it worked!

0 Kudos