VMware Cloud Community
ebernard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

export-VApp : dVs issue in OVF descriptor ??

Hi,

Trying to export a VMware vCenter Operations Manager (v5.6) from a vCenter v5.0.0 to a folder, to import later in a new vCenter environment (v5.1).

Just played with the export-VApp cmdlet but got following error:

Export-VApp : 3/29/2013 1:49:38 PM    Export-VApp        Failed to retrieve OVF descriptor for the export operation with the following errors: One or more properties are refering to an unknown network 'dvPortGroup 062'.

At line:1 char:69
+ get-Vapp -Name "VMware vCenter Operations Manager 5.6" | Export-VApp <<<<  -D
estination "z:\VMware\backup\" -Format Ova -Force
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (VirtualApp-resgroup-v742:ManagedO
   bjectReference) [Export-VApp], ViError
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ViCore_VappServiceImpl_ExportVApp_ExportSpecFail
   ed,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.ExportVApp

Here's my script :

get-Vapp -Name "VMware vCenter Operations Manager 5.6" | Export-VApp -Destination "z:\VMware\backup\" -Format Ova -Force

Just to precise that this vApp containing 2 VMs (vCops UI VM & Analytics) is powered off, running well and bound to a dVS and dVportGroup well configured.

Any idea? thanks by advance

Emmanuel BERNARD
Lead Solution Engineer | VMware Cloud | EMEA

Please mark "Helpful" or "Correct Answer" if applies. Appreciate it.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Just to verify that the problem is caused by the portgroup (which is connected to a dvSwitch),  can you set the network to a portgroup on a classical dvSwitch. Since the VMs in the vApp are probably powered off, there shouldn't be any impact.

Do not forget to switch the VMs back to the network on the dvSwitch

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

ebernard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Luc,

Tried it in the meanwhile and could export it but I don't understand why it generates an error.

I'd like to get a statement about dVS in the export-VApp cmdlet, if someone has the official answer ? 🙂

Could bee useful for potential use cases in the future...

Thanks anyway !

Emmanuel BERNARD
Lead Solution Engineer | VMware Cloud | EMEA

Please mark "Helpful" or "Correct Answer" if applies. Appreciate it.
0 Kudos
alanrenouf
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This is strange behaviour, I have raised a bug for this.

Blog: http://virtu-al.net Twitter: http://twitter.com/alanrenouf Co-author of the PowerCLI Book: http://powerclibook.com
AtanasAtanasov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

What version of PowerCLI are you using?

Did you try to export the VApp using the GUI (desktop or web client) and did it fail?

Do you reproduce the issue with other VMs or other portgroups? Can you try to attach the VMs that you export to some other dv portgroup and see if the export would fail? If that fails, can you create a simple VApp with 2 "small" VMs and attach those to the same dv portgroup and try to export?

Is the issue always reproducible?

0 Kudos