VMware Cloud Community
ricky73
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

error while I run .ps script

I migrated from PowerCLI 6.3 to latest (10.11) in Windows 2012.

I create test.ps script but when I run it I got:

C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powersell.exe -noe -c ". \"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphere PowerCLI\Scripts\Initialize-PowerCLIEnvironment.ps1\" $true". : The term 'C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\vSpherePowerCLI\Scripts\Initialize-PowerCLIEnvironment.ps1' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

At line:1 char:3

+ . "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphere PowerCLI\Scri ...

As if There was link to Initialize-PowerCLIEnvironmet.ps1 file but I'm not able to understand where is it?

This happens only if I click on script because if I open manually powershell by Windows link and I run command there is no problem, but I lost automatically mechanism!

Suggestions please?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

If you are using PowerCLI 10.1.0, you don't need that Init script anymore (module auto loading does that for you).

But can you clarify a bit how you start the script?

Is that from a shortcut on your desktop?

If yes, you will have to update the shortcut?

Or is that from a .ps1 file in the Windows Explorer?

In that case you probably defined an association for the filetype .ps1.

In that association you also have to remove the Init file.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
ricky73
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

.ps1 is file which I created by notepad in the Windows Explorer.

I verified that .ps1 is just associated to PowerShell

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Can you let us know what this returns?

$assoc = cmd /c assoc .ps1

New-PSDrive -PSProvider registry -Root HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT -Name HKCR | Out-Null

Get-Item "HKCR:\$($assoc.split('=')[0])\OpenWithProgids"

Get-Item HKCR:\$($assoc.split('=')[1])\Shell\Open\Command

0 Kudos
ricky73
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I tried 2 test.

1st test.

I opened PowerShell console, I run script .ps1 which you described.

Here is output:

Get-Item : Cannot find path 'HKCR:\.ps1\OpenWithProgids' because it does not exist.

At C:\Users\administrator.AUSL6\Desktop\test cruscotto auto di battaglia\prova.ps1:3 char:1

+ Get-Item "HKCR:\$($assoc.split('=')[0])\OpenWithProgids"

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (HKCR:\.ps1\OpenWithProgids:String) [Get-Item], ItemNotFoundException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetItemCommand

Hive: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Microsoft.PowerShellScript.1\Shell\Open

Name                           Property

----                           --------

Command                        (default) : "C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe" "%1"

2nd test.

I Open by, Windows Explorer, new windows and I click on script ps1 which you described.

I got :

. : The term 'C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\vSpherePowerCLI\Scripts\Initialize-PowerCLIEnvironment.ps1' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

+   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (C:\Program File...Environment.ps1:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

This is very strange, the output clearly shows that when you double-click a .ps1 file, it would open in notepad.

Which is the default when PowerShell is just installed.

The execution, with the obsolete Init script, must be coming from somewhere else.

Btw, did you already try running your original script from within the PowerShell ISE?

That shouldn't call that Init script.

0 Kudos
ricky73
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I tried now.

When I run script inside PowerShell ISE, a new window is opened where I have the same output:

C:\Users\administrator.... >C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -noe -c ". \"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphere PowerCLI\Scripts\Initialize-PowerCLIEnvironment.ps1\" $true"

. : The term 'C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphere PowerCLI\Scripts\Initialize-PowerCLIEnvironment.ps1' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

+   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (C:\Program File...Environment.ps1:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

This message appears for every script I run.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I meant from an editor window with the F5 key, not from the console command line in the ISE.

Does this for example also happen when you place a single cmdlet (for example Get-Process) in the Editor, and then press F5?

Do you have anything in this variable $CONSOLEFILENAME?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

A view on the full content of the script, mask out confidential information, might be useful.

0 Kudos
ricky73
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@

I meant from an editor window with the F5 key, not from the console command line in the ISE.

Yes, this occurs in editor windows too, pressing  F5 key. Everything I write inside file, It's has the same result.

If I open PowerShell and I type script name (test.ps1) which has a simple connectin to server (connect-viserver  -server ...) got the same error.

Does this for example also happen when you place a single cmdlet (for example Get-Process) in the Editor,

Yes, I tried. I got the same result.

I have no set variable as $CONSOLEFILENAME

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Would you mind attaching a screenshot of such a run in the ISE?

0 Kudos