VMware Cloud Community
FreddyFredFred
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

error connecting with powercli 11.2

I've been receiving some complaints from non-admin users that they cannot connect to vcenter once they update to the newest powercli 11.2 modules.

Anyone running 11.0 or lower seems fine but those that have upgraded are receiving this error:

Connect-VIServer : 2019-03-06 15:57:13 Connect-VIServer Permission to perform this operation was denied. Required privilege 'System.Read' on managed object with id 'OptionManager-VpxSettings'.

At line:1 char:1

+ Connect-VIServer -Server $ServerName

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : SecurityError: (:) [Connect-VIServer], NoPermission

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ViCore_ConnectivityServiceImpl_GetSetting_NoPermission,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.ConnectVIServer

As an admin I don't seem to have any issue.

They are able to connect to without issue via the GUI (VCSA 6.7U1)

Trying to install a specific version doesn;t' work (always seems to install 11.2 from the powershell gallery) or even use the save script provided on a vmware blog gives me errors when i try to run it.

ANyone else seeing this issue or know how to download older powercli versions?

8 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

No, not seeing that issue.
And afaik System.Read was always required.

There are ZIP files available for multiple versions on VMware {code}, see for example PowerCLI 10.2

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
FreddyFredFred
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks for the link! Using 11.1 seems to work in my tests so something is broken, at least in my environment, when using 11.2. I guess I'll have to open a case with vmware (or just wait and hope it gets fixed with a newer version at some point)

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I would open a SR in any case.

0 Kudos
ClaytonOlley
Contributor
Contributor

Wondering if anyone found a resolution to this? We're having the same issue with 11.2.

0 Kudos
pirx666
Contributor
Contributor

I've the same problem, just updated from 6.5x to 11.2 today and all my scripts stopped working.

Connect-VIServer : 08.05.2019 09:26:02  Connect-VIServer                Permission to perform this operation was denied.

Required privilege 'System.Read' on managed object with id 'OptionManager-VpxSettings'.

At D:\scripts\ClusterStats.ps1:21 char:5

+     Connect-VIServer $vcenter -User scripts -Password 'xxxxxx ...

+     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : SecurityError: (:) [Connect-VIServer], NoPermission

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ViCore_ConnectivityServiceImpl_GetSetting_NoPermission,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdle

ts.Commands.ConnectVIServer

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

This is a known issue I'm afraid.
As a bypass, add that permission to the root of your vSphere environment or downgrade to 10.*

0 Kudos
FredericOriol
Contributor
Contributor

I opened a ticket for this and they told me that it was a known issue and to wait for version 11.3.

Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

0 Kudos
jrdalrymple
Contributor
Contributor

I encountered this same issue, however it does seem to be resolved in 11.3.

0 Kudos