VMware Cloud Community
jvm2016
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

disabling vmotion traffic on management port_powercli(get-view)

Hello Luc,

could you check following code .this is to disable vmotion traffic on mangement port (vmk0) .

this works fine but i wanted to develop using get-view .in your last post yu mentioned

we can view esxi using -property name,config.network.vnic

however issues i am getting is i dont see any nested properties corresponding to managementtrafficenabled and vmotionenabled

also we need to find method corresponding to Set-VMHostNetworkAdapter -VMotionEnabled $false.

i have been checking hostvirtualnic object in api documentation but did not find anything or iam not able to understand .need you help if following code can be converted using get-view way.

$vmhosts=get-vmhost -location $cluster

foreach($hos in $vmhosts)

{

$vmkernel=Get-VMHostNetworkAdapter -VMKernel -VMHost $hos|Where-Object{$_.managementtrafficenabled -eq $true -and $_.vmotionenabled -eq $true}

$vmkernel|select @{N='esxi name';E={$hos.name}},@{N='vmkernel port';E={$_.name}}

if ($vmkernel -eq $null)

{

Write-Output "nothing to remediate for traffic separation"

}

else

{

$rem1=read-host " do yu want to remediate traffic separation"

}

if($rem1 -eq "yes")

{

write-output "remediating traffic separation"

$vmkernel|Set-VMHostNetworkAdapter -VMotionEnabled $false -confirm:$false

}

}

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In any case, you can do something like this

$tgtVNic = 'vmk0'

foreach($cluster in Get-View -ViewType ClusterComputeresource -Property Name)

{

foreach($esx in Get-View -ViewType HostSystem -Property Name,ConfigManager.VirtualNicManager -SearchRoot $cluster.Moref)

{

$vnicMgr = Get-View -Id $esx.ConfigManager.VirtualNicManager

$vmotionvnic = $vnicMgr.QueryNetConfig([vmware.vim.HostVirtualNicManagerNicType]::vmotion)

$key = $vmotionvnic.CandidateVnic | where{$_.Device -eq $tgtVNic} | select -ExpandProperty Key

if($key -and $vmotionvnic.SelectedVnic -contains $key){

$vNicMgr.DeselectVnicForNicType([vmware.vim.HostVirtualNicManagerNicType]::vmotion,$tgtVNic)

}

}

}

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Not sure why you would want to change a VMkernel setting through API?
That, as you showed, can perfectly be done with the PowerCLI cmdlet.

Remember that the API (through Get-View and ExtensionData) should be used for speed in bigger environments, and to get access to properties and methods that are not available through a PowerCLI cmdlet.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In any case, you can do something like this

$tgtVNic = 'vmk0'

foreach($cluster in Get-View -ViewType ClusterComputeresource -Property Name)

{

foreach($esx in Get-View -ViewType HostSystem -Property Name,ConfigManager.VirtualNicManager -SearchRoot $cluster.Moref)

{

$vnicMgr = Get-View -Id $esx.ConfigManager.VirtualNicManager

$vmotionvnic = $vnicMgr.QueryNetConfig([vmware.vim.HostVirtualNicManagerNicType]::vmotion)

$key = $vmotionvnic.CandidateVnic | where{$_.Device -eq $tgtVNic} | select -ExpandProperty Key

if($key -and $vmotionvnic.SelectedVnic -contains $key){

$vNicMgr.DeselectVnicForNicType([vmware.vim.HostVirtualNicManagerNicType]::vmotion,$tgtVNic)

}

}

}

0 Kudos
jvm2016
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

iunderstand,yes it can be done with powercli commands.

however this is one of the remediation porttionwhich i want to merge  with previous code that was developed using get-view .

this will be consistent and some of the previus defined variables (which were defined using get-view) can be utilized.

also i want to learn also how to use api documentation quicky

.can you suggest any brief documnetto understand this.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm afraid there is no documentation to help you use the API Reference.
That is a document that you need to get into, meaning use it to get the hang of it.

There is a SDK chapter in the PowerCLI Reference book, where I give an example, but that is definitely not a full fledged learning guide.

Does the script work for you?

0 Kudos
jvm2016
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

this is lightning fast even for small environemt.that works fine but not easy to understand comapred to what basic i created using simple powercli commands .

thanks for your help.

just though of asking  while wrting this type of code are you reffering api documentation or yu able to find it quickly only in powercli.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There is a lot of experience and looking at other people's scripts involved to get comfortable with the API.

One other source, although not light reading, that might help is the Programming Guide.

0 Kudos