VMware Cloud Community
rfoust
Contributor
Contributor

cmdlet for managing bios settings?

Hi,

I didn't see it at first glance, but would it be possible to have cmdlets to get/set bios settings for a VM? Seems like programmatically it shouldn't be very difficult and would be extremely useful.

Thanks,

- Robbie

0 Kudos
4 Replies
halr9000
Commander
Commander

I looked around for a little bit and have not yet seen an example of this being done anywhere. I don't think it's covered in (any of) their APIs either, but I could be wrong. One thing I wrote talked about manually setting one VM as you want it, then copying the .nvram file to the destination VMs while they are powered off.

My signature used to be pretty, but then the forum software broked it. vExpert. Microsoft MVP (Windows PowerShell). Author, Podcaster, Speaker. I'm @halr9000
0 Kudos
rfoust
Contributor
Contributor

Copying the .nvram file is the way I'm doing it right now, but unfortunately our process for creating Windows VMs has been less than consistent, so I don't know which ones have the right configuration and which ones don't. More specifically, what I'm really interested in finding out is the boot device ordering. I set all of my VMs up to PXE boot first, followed by Floppy, CD, and HDD. (we always pxe boot first to take advantage of our automation software..Altiris Deployment Solution).

I think vmware might license their bios technology from somebody else, so the code might be closed off from external management like this. Not really sure though...

0 Kudos
halr9000
Commander
Commander

I'm very familiar with Altiris's deployment solution as the version that HP OEM'd and called HP Remote Deployment Pack (RDP).

I think you'd be better off taking this question to the wider VMTN, maybe the VI\VM group.

My signature used to be pretty, but then the forum software broked it. vExpert. Microsoft MVP (Windows PowerShell). Author, Podcaster, Speaker. I'm @halr9000
0 Kudos
bshell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would just make a master file can copy that one always... make it read-only and move it out of the VM folder. Almost like an ISO file. You can copy that as part of the deployement of new VMs

0 Kudos