VMware Cloud Community
Thushyaa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

cfgbackup while locked down mode

Hi All,

I was able to do backup using without locked down mode, now i have enabled the locked down mode and need to continue the backup, could i do this while the server is in locked down mode ? i mean using vcenter pass through / access ?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

With Set-VMHostFirmware you don't specify a filename, but just the path to use. The backup process will generate a filename like configBundle-esx01.mishchenko.net.tgz. If you're automating this process you would want to rename the file once it has been created. When you use the command to restore a backup, you do require a specific file name.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you using the vCLI or PowerCLI? With Lockdown Mode you have to pass your commands through vCenter Server. For PowerCLI you would connect to vCenter Server and run the following:

Set-VMHostFirmware -VMHost esx01.mishchenko.net -BackupConfiguration -DestinationPath c:\tmp\ 

For the vCLI you can no longer run vicfg-cfgbackup as the command must make a direct connection to the host. The following commands from the vCLI must connect directly to the host for the 4.1 release:

vicfg-snmp

vifs

vicfg-user

vicfg-cfgbackup

vihostupdate

vmkfstools

esxcli

vicfg-ipsec

If you look at the parameters list for these commands you can see that they lack the --vihost / -h option.

Dave

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
Thushyaa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Dave,

How to specify a file name ? how could restore one of many configuration backup files ?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

With Set-VMHostFirmware you don't specify a filename, but just the path to use. The backup process will generate a filename like configBundle-esx01.mishchenko.net.tgz. If you're automating this process you would want to rename the file once it has been created. When you use the command to restore a backup, you do require a specific file name.

Dave

0 Kudos
Thushyaa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any simple way rename the files with appending date & time values to keep them unique ?

thanks again.

0 Kudos