VMware Cloud Community
gamename
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Win8.1 & Server 2012R2 Resizing Disks At Clone TIme - Possible?

Hi,

I would like to set the capacity of the "C:\" drive dynamically when cloning. 

Some of my guests need 60GB drives and others need as much as 200GB.  The preference would be to use the same template for either.  Both 8.1 and 2012r2 supposedly have hooks to make this easier. 

Is this possible to script, or am I chasing butterflies?

-T

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

From the name of that VM I guess it is running W2K12R2 ?

I'm afraid the cmdlets that are based upon or use the Invoke-VMSCript concept, do not yet support Windows 2012 R2 afaik.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Afaik the clone version of the New-VM cdlet doesn't allow you to specify the DiskGB or DiskMB parameters.

Those parameters are only available in the DefaultParameterset, not in the CloneVM parameterset.

It might be possible with the CloneVM_Task method, but I haven't tried that yet I must admit.

I'll give it a shot.

As an alternative you might make it a 2-step process, first do the cloning, then change the size of the system disk.

gamename
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As an alternative you might make it a 2-step process, first do the cloning, then change the size of the system disk.

Is that possible to do with a script?  I

0 Kudos
gamename
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It might be possible with the CloneVM_Task method, but I haven't tried that yet I must admit.

I'll give it a shot.

...and thanks, Luc. Smiley Happy

-T

0 Kudos
gamename
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I tried this and got the error below:

> get-harddisk -vm taw2k12r2t000 | where { $_.Name -eq "Hard disk 1" } | set-harddisk -capacitygb 100 -ResizeGuestPartit

ion -confirm:$false                                                                                                    

set-harddisk : 11/15/2013 8:27:09    Set-HardDisk        Execution of the  script in guest OS on VM 'taw2k12r2t000'    

failed: 'Specified disk "SAS:0:0" was not found                                                                        

'                                                                                                                      

At line:1 char:72                                                                                                      

+ get-harddisk -vm taw2k12r2t000 | where { $_.Name -eq "Hard disk 1" } | set-hardd ...                                 

+                                                                        ~~~~~~~~~                                     

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (taw2k12r2t000:VirtualMachineImpl) [Set-HardDisk], VimException             

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_RunScriptInGuestHelper_RunScriptFileInGuest_ScriptError,VMware.VimAutomation.Vi

Core.Cmdlets.Commands.VirtualDevice.SetHardDisk                                                                     

WARNING: Specified disk "SAS:0:0" was not found                                                                        

CapacityGB      Persistence                                                    Filename                                

----------      -----------                                                    --------                                

100.000         Persistent                   [TCStore] taw2k12r2t000/taw2k12r2t000.vmdk                                

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

From the name of that VM I guess it is running W2K12R2 ?

I'm afraid the cmdlets that are based upon or use the Invoke-VMSCript concept, do not yet support Windows 2012 R2 afaik.

0 Kudos
gamename
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yup. Correct. At least I know why it isn't working. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
QLD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm using vCO to deploy servers running post task scripts to customise the O/S via invoke-vmscript.

Is there any news when it will be supported?  This is devastating.

0 Kudos