VMware Cloud Community
dgwhite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Wierd errors with get-VMHostHBA

I am having some issues with get-vmhosthba. When I run the command aggainst a 4.0 host, the commed works as desired:

get-vmhost pbnvm15 | Get-VMHostHba

Device Type Model Status

vmhba33 IScsi iSCSI Software Adapter Unknown

When I run it against a fresh 4.1 host I get this:

get-vmhost pbnvm16 | Get-VMHostHba

Get-VMHostHba : 9/21/2010 9:29:44 AM Get-VMHostHba Requested value 'unbound' was not found.

At line:1 char:51

+ get-vmhost pbnvm16.petrobakken.pvt | Get-VMHostHba <<<<

+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (Smiley Happy , ViError

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_StorageSerivceImpl_GetVMHostHba_VIError,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.Host.Storage.GetVMHostHba

I have a PowerCli script that I use to setup new hosts. The iSCSI section fails when deploying 4.1 hosts.

I am using PowerCLI Version VMware vSphere PowerCLI 4.1 build 264274

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx,

Dan

0 Kudos
9 Replies
MisterKuehn
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dan,

Did you find a solution? I am having the same problems with my PowerCLI commands on a 4.1 host (PowerCLI 4.1 client installed too).

-Dillon

0 Kudos
yboychev
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi there,

The call Get-VmHost | Get-VmHostHba seems simple enough, so it does not look like you are doing something wrong. We have been trying to reproduce the problem in our test lab with different versions of hosts with no success so there must be something with a specific of the environment. Therefore I would like to ask you to provide us with the following data:

1. Execute Get-VmHost pbnvm15 | Get-VmHostHba and then get: Error[0].Exception.InnerException and $Error[0].Exception.StackTrace

2. What does the following line of code return: (Get-VmHost pbnvm15).StorageInfo.ExtensionData.StorageDeviceInfo.HostBusAdapter

\Yavor

PowerCLI team

0 Kudos
f10
Expert
Expert

I am also exerpencing the same issue with vSphere PowerCLI 4.1 Build # 264274 against vSphere 4.1 ESX/ESXi hosts. Here is the output of the command:

C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphere PowerCLI&gt; Get-VMHost 10.112.96.17 | Get-VMHostHba

Get-VMHostHba : 9/24/2010 6:19:14 PM Get-VMHostHba Requested value 'u

nbound' was not found.

At line:1 char:40

+ Get-VMHost 10.112.96.17 | Get-VMHostHba &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_StorageSerivceImpl_GetVMHostHba_VIError

,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.Host.Storage.GetVMHostHba

Thanks in advance !!!

f10

VCP3, VCP4, HPCP, HP UX CSA

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
MisterKuehn
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for your help! I'm trying to modify our Post-Install script from vSphere 4.0 to 4.1, and one of the things we do is call the HBA's so that we can bind the correct VMK's to the iSCSI interfaces. It works fine on a 4.0 host with the 4.1 version of PowerCLI installed, but this command breaks in the script when run against a 4.1 host. The exact commands we're running in this part of our script are as follows (with the Get-VMHostHba commands in blue):

# Enable software iSCSI on the host
Write-Host "Enabling the software iSCSI initiator" -ForegroundColor yellow -BackgroundColor Black
Get-VMHostStorage $ESXiHostIP | Set-VMHostStorage -SoftwareIScsiEnabled $true
# Retrieve the iSCSI HBA(s) on the host
Write-Host "Retrieving the iSCSI HBA(s) on the host" -ForegroundColor yellow -BackgroundColor Black
$iscsiHba = Get-VMHostHba -Type IScsi
# Add a new iSCSI target for dynamic discovery (the default port number is 3260)
Write-Host "Adding an iSCSI target for dynamic discovery" -ForegroundColor yellow -BackgroundColor Black
$iscsiHba | New-IScsiHbaTarget -Address $ESXiiSCSIgroupIP -Type Send
#$iscsiHbaType = $iscsiHba.Description
# Binding VMkernel ports to iSCSI software adapter
Write-Host
Write-Host "Launching esxcli in order to finish configuration of the iSCSI software adapter" -ForegroundColor yellow -BackgroundColor Black
New-Item -Path c:\temp\esxcli\connection.config -Type "File" -Value "VI_SERVER = "
Add-Content $DirEsxCli\connection.config -Value $ESXiHostIP
Add-Content $DirEsxCli\connection.config "VI_USERNAME = root"
Add-Content $DirEsxCli\connection.config "VI_PASSWORD = $ESXiPassword"
Start-Sleep -Seconds 1
& $ProgramFilesESXCLI --config $DirEsxCli\connection.config swiscsi nic add -n vmk1 -d $iscsihba
Start-Sleep -Seconds 10
& $ProgramFilesESXCLI --config $DirEsxCli\connection.config swiscsi nic add -n vmk2 -d $iscsihba
Start-Sleep -Seconds 10
Write-Host
Write-Host "Listing the VMkernel ports and their associated bindings"
& $ProgramFilesESXCLI --config $DirEsxCli\connection.config swiscsi nic list -d $iscsihba

Configuration

Client that I'm running commands from: Windows Server 2008R2 with PowerCLI 4.1 (build 264274) installed (on the same sub-net) OR Windows 7 with PowerCLI 4.1 installed (on a seperate sub-net)- same error on both clients
Host server that I'm connecting to: vSphere ESXi 4.1 (build 260247) in evaluation mode (I have not joined it to vCenter yet since this command is part of my post-install script). Hardware: HP BL460G1 blade server with nc373i NICs.

Commands, in order:

1. Connect-VIServer 100.1.1.11 -user root -password password

WARNING: There were one or more problems with the server certificate:
* The X509 chain could not be built up to the root certificate.
* The certificate's CN name does not match the passed value.

Name Port User
-

-

-

100.1.1.11 443 root

2. Get-VMHost | Get-VMHostHba

Get-VMHostHba : 9/24/2010 8:30:41 AM Get-VMHostHba Requested value 'unbound' was not found.
At line:1 char:40
+ Get-VmHost 100.1.1.11 | Get-VmHostHba &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_StorageSerivceImpl_GetVMHostHba_VIError,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.Host.Storage.GetVMHostHba

3. (Get-VmHost 100.1.1.11).StorageInfo.ExtensionData.StorageDeviceInfo.HostBusAdapter

Key : key-vim.host.BlockHba-vmhba0
Device : vmhba0
Bus : 11
Model : Smart Array E200i
Driver : cciss
Pci : 0b:08.0
DynamicType :
DynamicProperty :
IsSoftwareBased : True
DiscoveryCapabilities : VMware.Vim.HostInternetScsiHbaDiscoveryCapabilities
DiscoveryProperties : VMware.Vim.HostInternetScsiHbaDiscoveryProperties
AuthenticationCapabilities : VMware.Vim.HostInternetScsiHbaAuthenticationCapabilities
AuthenticationProperties : VMware.Vim.HostInternetScsiHbaAuthenticationProperties
DigestCapabilities : VMware.Vim.HostInternetScsiHbaDigestCapabilities
DigestProperties : VMware.Vim.HostInternetScsiHbaDigestProperties
IpCapabilities : VMware.Vim.HostInternetScsiHbaIPCapabilities
IpProperties : VMware.Vim.HostInternetScsiHbaIPProperties
SupportedAdvancedOptions : {ErrorRecoveryLevel, LoginRetryMax, MaxOutstandingR2T, FirstBurstLength...}
AdvancedOptions : {ErrorRecoveryLevel, LoginRetryMax, MaxOutstandingR2T, FirstBurstLength...}
IScsiName : iqn.1998-01.com.vmware:localhost.usa.wtbts.net:1277364922:32
IScsiAlias : bnx2i-001f29ce5f5c
ConfiguredSendTarget :
ConfiguredStaticTarget :
MaxSpeedMb :
CurrentSpeedMb :
Key : key-vim.host.InternetScsiHba-vmhba32
Device : vmhba32
Bus : -1
Model : Broadcom iSCSI Adapter
Driver : bnx2i
Pci : UNKNOWN - NULL PCI DEV IN VMKCTL
DynamicType :
DynamicProperty :
AuthenticationCapabilities : VMware.Vim.HostInternetScsiHbaAuthenticationCapabilities
AuthenticationProperties : VMware.Vim.HostInternetScsiHbaAuthenticationProperties
SupportedAdvancedOptions : {ErrorRecoveryLevel, LoginRetryMax, MaxOutstandingR2T, FirstBurstLength...}
AdvancedOptions : {ErrorRecoveryLevel, LoginRetryMax, MaxOutstandingR2T, FirstBurstLength...}
IScsiName : iqn.1998-01.com.vmware:localhost.usa.wtbts.net:1277364922:33
IScsiAlias : bnx2i-001f29ce5f5e
ConfiguredSendTarget :
ConfiguredStaticTarget :
MaxSpeedMb :
CurrentSpeedMb :
Key : key-vim.host.InternetScsiHba-vmhba33
Device : vmhba33
Model : Broadcom iSCSI Adapter
Driver : bnx2i
DynamicType :
DynamicProperty :
IScsiName : iqn.1998-01.com.vmware:vmwlab402-12e05420
IScsiAlias :
ConfiguredSendTarget :
ConfiguredStaticTarget :
MaxSpeedMb :
CurrentSpeedMb :
Key : key-vim.host.InternetScsiHba-vmhba34
Device : vmhba34
Model : iSCSI Software Adapter
Driver : iscsi_vmk
DynamicType :
DynamicProperty :

Please let me know if there's any more information I can give you to help me, or if there's any other commands that I can run.

-Dillon

0 Kudos
yboychev
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks for the details which gives prety clear idea what is going on. As you can see one of the iSCSI adaptors returned has a status "Unbound". According to the API the valid values for the status property of the host bus adapter objects are: "online", "offline", and "fault". This is what is causing our Get-VmHostHBA cmdlet to crash. I'll put an item into our bug tracking system in order to make the cmdlet robust to such undocumented values for the Status property for a future release. Untill then let's try a workaroung:

1. I'm pretty sure that you will not be able to add a target for the iSCSI which is 'Unbound' state, so I filter it in the code snippet bellow. If I'm wrong you can try to add targets to it by simply removing the "-and $_.Status -notlike 'unbound'" piece of code

2. I have comment the old invocations and added a few new lines. The rest of the script should stay the same

# Enable software iSCSI on the host 
Write-Host "Enabling the software iSCSI initiator" -ForegroundColor yellow -BackgroundColor Black 
# Retrieve the iSCSI HBA(s) on the host 
Write-Host "Retrieving the iSCSI HBA(s) on the host" -ForegroundColor yellow -BackgroundColor Black 
#$iscsiHba = Get-VMHostHba -Type IScsi
$iscsiHba = (Get-VmHost $ESXiHostIP).StorageInfo.ExtensionData.StorageDeviceInfo.HostBusAdapter | where {$_.Model -like "iSCSI Software Adapter" -and $_.Status -notlike 'unbound'}
# Add a new iSCSI target for dynamic discovery (the default port number is 3260) 
Write-Host "Adding an iSCSI target for dynamic discovery" -ForegroundColor yellow -BackgroundColor Black 
#$iscsiHba | New-IScsiHbaTarget -Address $ESXiiSCSIgroupIP -Type Send
$targets = New-Object VMware.Vim.HostInternetScsiHbaSendTarget[] (1)
$targets[0] = New-Object VMware.Vim.HostInternetScsiHbaSendTarget
$targets[0].address = $ESXiiSCSIgroupIP
$targets[0].port = 3260
$hsView = Get-VMHostStorage $ESXiHostIP | Get-View 
foreach($hba in $iscsiHba) {
	$hsView.AddInternetScsiSendTargets($hba.Device, $targets)		
}

The rest of the script goes here

0 Kudos
f10
Expert
Expert

Hi,

I had a software iSCSI initiator enabled earlier but I have now disabled the iSCSI initiator and did a rescan for all HBA's but still cannot get the Get-VMHostHba command to work. Do I need to reboot the ESX host for these changes to take effect ?

f10

VCP3, VCP4, HPCP, HP UX CSA

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
MisterKuehn
Contributor
Contributor

Excellent! Thank you so much. This work-around is great. There were two things I had to change, but they were very very minor...you did all the heavy lifting. One of the variables was missing its $ before the string and the UNBOUND statement was in single quotes, but it needed to be in double quotes. Here's the final version of that section of the script with my little tweaks:

1. Enable software iSCSI on the host

1. Retrieve the iSCSI HBA(s) on the host

#$iscsiHba = Get-VMHostHba -Type IScsi

$iscsiHba = (Get-VmHost $ESXiHostIP).StorageInfo.ExtensionData.StorageDeviceInfo.HostBusAdapter | where {$_.Model -like "iSCSI Software Adapter" -and $_.Status -notlike "unbound"}

$iscsivmhba = $iscsihba.device

1. Add a new iSCSI target for dynamic discovery (the default port number is 3260)

#$iscsiHba | New-IScsiHbaTarget -Address $ESXiiSCSIgroupIP -Type Send

$targets = New-Object VMware.Vim.HostInternetScsiHbaSendTarget[] (1)

$targets[0] = New-Object VMware.Vim.HostInternetScsiHbaSendTarget

$targets[0].address = $ESXiiSCSIgroupIP

$targets[0].port = 3260

$hsView = Get-VMHostStorage $ESXiHostIP | Get-View

foreach($hba in $iscsiHba) {

$hsView.AddInternetScsiSendTargets($hba.Device, $targets)

}

Again, thank you very much!

-Dillon

0 Kudos
SuperSpike
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I realize this thread is a bit old, but do you know if this fix will be included in a future release? If so, do you know which release?

Thanks

@Virtual_EZ
0 Kudos
yboychev
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Yes the fix of this problem will be included in our next release. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to publicly announce the time of the release, but giving the fact historically we have released every six months and our last release was somewhere in December, it shouldn't be too far away. Until then you can use the workaround I have mentioned in the post.

Regards,

Yavor

0 Kudos