VMware Cloud Community
Mav21
Contributor
Contributor

When will the next version of PowerCLI be released to support vSphere 6.7. Specifically for Instant Clones.

When will the next version of PowerCLI be released to support vSphere 6.7.  Specifically for Instant Clones.

17 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I don't think that being compatible with vSphere 6.7 means the same as supporting new features in vSphere 6.7.

In short, the Instant Clone feature is not available via a cmdlet yet afaik.

But don't despair, William will shortly show you how you can call the Instant Clone API from PowerCLI, as he announced in New Instant Clone Architecture in vSphere 6.7 – Part 1

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
Mav21
Contributor
Contributor

This is helpful.  Do you happen to know when William is going to be coming out with this?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I'm afraid not, but knowing William, shouldn't take too long :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
Mav21
Contributor
Contributor

OK, thanks.  I have some folks working on this now for a specific cyber security training project for colleges/universities.  Getting this to work in 6.7 is important to us, as it could benefit 1,000s of students and their training.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

William published Part 2, see New Instant Clone Architecture in vSphere 6.7 – Part 2

0 Kudos
Mav21
Contributor
Contributor

Awesome!  Thanks for letting me know.

0 Kudos
Mav21
Contributor
Contributor

Is anyone having issues deploying VMware PowerCLI 10.1 to Azure automation?  I tried importing it and am getting an error about a failed deployment.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Can you provide some more details?

What command did you use (a regular Install-Module), what is the error message, which .Net version....?

Btw, are you saying that the issue isn't there with PowerCLI 10.0.0?

0 Kudos
DBouman
Contributor
Contributor

I'm also having issues deploying PowerCLI 10.1 to Azure Automation.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Go to PowerShell Gallery | VMware.PowerCLI 10.1.0.8403314

2. Click button "Deploy to Azure Automation"

3. Observe deployment error in Azure

I haven't tested with PowerCLI 10.0, however, I was able to successfully deploy PowerCLI 6.5 to Azure Automation though.

0 Kudos
Mav21
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I'm having the same problem DBouman is having.

0 Kudos
jakerpowercli
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for reporting. I need the full error text or stack trace in order to hunt this down.

0 Kudos
DBouman
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the full error:

"Deployment template validation failed: 'The resource '<snipped>/modules/VMware.VimAutomation.Common' at line '205' and column '5' is defined multiple times in a template. Please see https://aka.ms/arm-template/#resources for usage details.'. (Code: InvalidTemplate)"

0 Kudos
Mav21
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, now that you have the error, do you know how long it might take to fix?  Our project is at a standstill until we can get this working.

0 Kudos
Mav21
Contributor
Contributor

Hey, just wanted to check in on this to see if there was a fix?

0 Kudos
jakerpowercli
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I discussed this with my friends at Microsoft, and they have told me it should just work, and the problem is most likely in their deployment code. There are sanity checks that sound like they are not compatible with our module structure, and they need to support this.

I would follow up by submitting a case with the Azure team.

0 Kudos
jakerpowercli
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Mav21​ Talked to MS today. They are rolling out their fix shortly.

0 Kudos