VMware Cloud Community
Strata
Contributor
Contributor

What is required to use Invoke-VMScript

I just upgraded to VI Toolkit 1.5 and I was trying out Invoke-VMScript but with no success.

I was wondering what is required to run this command on my machine and the guest machine. From what I can find it requires Powershell on both machines and the VI tool kit on the host but is it required within the guest as well? Also do I need to run a specific version of Powershell?

A thread listing the requirements would be great. Here is a start

Required to run Invoke-VMScript:

-Host running the Invoke command

1. Minimum Powershell version

2. VI Toolkit version: 1.5

3. Level of -hostuser access

-Guest recieving the Invoke-VMScript

1. Minimum Powershell version:

2. VI toolkit required?

3. Level of -guestuser access

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Afaik these are the requirements on both sides:

1) Machine where you run Invoke-VMScript

- PowerShell v1 or v2 CTP3 (haven't tested with the other v2 previews)

- VITK v1.5 build 142961

2) The guest where you execute the script

- up-to-date version of the VMware Tools

- PowerShell v1 or v2 CTP3 (haven't tested with the other v2 previews)

At first I was confused by the -HostUser parameter.

This is not an account defined on the VC but an account on the ESX server (the hyper-visor) !

I use an account that is in the same groups as root but doesn't have UID=0.

At this moment I don't know to which groups the -HostUser should at least belong.

A simple example with the "dir" command:

get-vm <VM-name> | `
   Invoke-VMScript -ScriptText "dir" -HostUser <ESX-account> -HostPassword <ESX-password> -GuestUser <guest-account> -GuestPassword <guest-password>

For the -GuestUser you can give:

1) a local account on the machine (with the required permissions of course)

2) a domain account (if the guest is in a domain) in the formats:

a) "account" (provided the guest is in the same domain as the host from which you run the Invoke-VMScript cmdlet ==> this requires further investigation or clarification)

b) "domain\account"

And don't forget that Carter made a great video on the Invoke-VMScript cmdlet.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
esloof
Expert
Expert

I'm getting: The method or operation is not implemented.

Get-VM -name "Windows XP" | Invoke-VMScript -ScriptText "Get-Process"

0 Kudos
esloof
Expert
Expert

Or this one in another VM

$vm = Get-VM -name "DC.NTPRO.LOCAL"

Invoke-VMScript -VM $vm -ScriptText "Dir"

15-2-2009 21:03:18 Invoke-VMScript 3DA179B6-0EE4-42DD-B8C8-2D5BABA61BB4 While performing operation 'Connect to host service 'https://192.168.178.251/sdk' at port 902' the following error occured: 'The specified service provider was not found'

At :line:8 char:0

Invoke-VMScript -VM $vm -ScriptText "Dir"

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Eric, you are passing the -Hostuser and -Guestuser on the command I suspect ?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
esloof
Expert
Expert

@LucD22 Fixed the problem, had to to some un-install and install actions... Please don't ask me what but it ends with 1.5 :-0

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi everyone,

Here's my attempt at a definitive list:

VI toolkit required 1.5

Level of access:

Read access to the VM including folder. (you need to be able to run Get-VM after all)

Virtual Machine.Interaction.Console Interaction privilege

Windows guest with up-to-date tools

Windows PowerShell installed within the Windows guest

Network connectivity to the ESX system hosting the VM on port 902

If I've missed anything please let me know. I've asked to get the docs updated with this info.

As time goes on some of these requirements will go away or change. Look for the requirements around Windows guests and PowerShell within the guest to go away first. If you're impatient (like me) check out the VIX blog for a way to run scripts on Linux and on Windows guests without PowerShell.

0 Kudos
klich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had the same issue, to resolve it on my system required installing the lastest version of the VIX SDK - from .

I'm guessing I had an older version installed already from WS 6.5 (or possibly another VMware product), so the VITK 1.5 installer detected VIX was already installed, but didn't check to see if it was the appropriate version.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I'm guessing I had an older version installed already from WS 6.5 (or possibly another VMware product), so the VITK 1.5 installer detected VIX was already installed, but didn't check to see if it was the appropriate version.

Yes, this is a bug. To see if you have the right version of VIX installed, run this:

& "$env:programfiles\vmware\vmware vix\vmrun.exe" | select -first 2

from a PowerShell window.

You should see this output:

vmrun version 2.0.0 build-127388

0 Kudos
esloof
Expert
Expert

Just checked I'm running "vmrun version 6.5.1 build-126130"

0 Kudos
houghtp
Contributor
Contributor

Carter,

I'm running

Invoke-VMScript -VM $vm -ScriptText "Get-Process" -GuestUser $vmUser -GuestPassword $vmPswd -HostUser $esxUser -HostPassword $esxPswd

host user is root guest user is administrator but i get no output returned.

i've ran

& "$env:programfiles\vmware\vmware vix\vmrun.exe" | select -first 2

and get

vmrun version 6.5.1 build-126130

so I downloaded the latest version of VIX and installed it still showed as build-126130. Tried re-install vi toolit 1.5 still the same any ideas?

cheers

0 Kudos
scott_herold
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just had the same issue yesterday. I had to reboot after installing PowerShell in my guest OS before it would return data. Also, make sure you change the default Execution Policy on your guest.

"Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned"

Scott

0 Kudos
houghtp
Contributor
Contributor

fantastic - reboot did the trick thanks Scott!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

A reboot shouldn't be necessary -- sounds like a bug.

0 Kudos
houghtp
Contributor
Contributor

HI,

i'm trying to use invoke-vmscript again having had it working before but now get the same error as Erik above:

Invoke-VMScript 3DA179B6-0EE4-42DD-B8C8-2D5BABA61BB4 While performing operation 'Connect to host service 'https://HostServer/sdk' at port 902' the following error occured: 'The specified service provider was not found'

We have updated our hosts but that is the only thing that has changed. VMtools are upto date

I've re-installed powercli.

any ideas?

thanks

0 Kudos
DougBaer
Commander
Commander

When I had this problem and everything else looked fine, I downloaded VIX 1.6.2 and installed it. The problem went away. Do you have Workstation installed on the machine that you're using to kick off the script?

Doug Baer, Solution Architect, Advanced Services, Broadcom | VCDX #019, vExpert 2012-23
0 Kudos
phsym
Contributor
Contributor

Sometimes, Invoke-VMScript doesn't work when you are connected to the ESX using the hostname. Try to connect using the IP address before using Invoke-VMScript.

0 Kudos
phsym
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem when using Invoke-VMScript ( Invoke-VMScript 3DA179B6-0EE4-42DD-B8C8-2D5BABA61BB4 While performing

operation 'Connect to host service 'https://HostServer/sdk' at port

902' the following error occured: 'The specified service provider was

not found' ). Invoke-VMScript only works when I am connected to the host by using its IP address (not the hostname). I think it's a bug.

0 Kudos