VMware Cloud Community
suboss87
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Vm counts by folders

Hi,

I have created a script which collected the VM counts for the selective folders in each Vcenter, This scripts seems working fine but it's not collecting output to the CSV.

$output = @()

Get-Content -Path C:\capacity_donot_delete\folder.txt | %{

New-Object PSObject -Property @{

Folder = $_

VMCount = Get-Folder -Name $_ | Get-VM | Measure-Object | Select -ExpandProperty Count        

}

}

$output | Export-Csv -Path C:\capacity_donot_delete\folder_count.csv -NoTypeInformation -UseCulture

Note: Also, I would like to make this script to generate a mail report whichever collected in the CSV.

Need support to fix this issue - Thanks in advance!!

BR/Subash.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You were never actually filling the $output variable with data anywhere, so it's empty. Try this:

$output = @()
Get-Content -Path C:\capacity_donot_delete\folder.txt | % {
  $output += New-Object PSObject -Property @{
    Folder = $_
    VMCount = Get-Folder -Name $_ | Get-VM | Measure-Object | Select -ExpandProperty Count       
  }
}

$output | Export-Csv -Path C:\capacity_donot_delete\folder_count.csv -NoTypeInformation -UseCulture

To send a mail use the Send-MailMessage cmdlet or use a function like this (enables anonymous SMTP):

function Send-Mail {
  Param(
    [string][Parameter(Mandatory=$true)]$MailTo,
    [string][Parameter(Mandatory=$true)]$MailFrom,
    [string][Parameter(Mandatory=$true)]$MailSubject,
    [string][Parameter(Mandatory=$true)]$MailBody
  )

$SMTPServer = 'MyMailRelay.fqdn'
  $mailer = New-Object Net.Mail.SMTPclient($SMTPServer)
  $msg = New-Object Net.Mail.MailMessage($MailFrom, $MailTo, $MailSubject, $MailBody)
  $mailer.send($msg)
}

Send-Mail -MailTo "recipient@mydomain" -MailFrom "sender@mydomain" -MailSubject "VM Folder Export" -MailBody $output
-- http://alpacapowered.wordpress.com

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You were never actually filling the $output variable with data anywhere, so it's empty. Try this:

$output = @()
    Folder = $_
  }
}

To send a mail use the Send-MailMessage cmdlet or use a function like this (enables anonymous SMTP):

function Send-Mail {
  Param(
    [string][Parameter(Mandatory=$true)]$MailTo,
    [string][Parameter(Mandatory=$true)]$MailFrom,
    [string][Parameter(Mandatory=$true)]$MailSubject,
    [string][Parameter(Mandatory=$true)]$MailBody
  )

$SMTPServer = 'MyMailRelay.fqdn'
  $mailer = New-Object Net.Mail.SMTPclient($SMTPServer)
  $msg = New-Object Net.Mail.MailMessage($MailFrom, $MailTo, $MailSubject, $MailBody)
  $mailer.send($msg)
}

Send-Mail -MailTo "recipient@mydomain" -MailFrom "sender@mydomain" -MailSubject "VM Folder Export" -MailBody $output
suboss87
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi MK,

Thanks a lot!! Yes it was missed in my earlier script.

I have tested , It's working like a charm.

Also, I have two more things to do with this script, Could you please guide me to do it better - i will be more obliged.

1. The output file(CSV file) should be created with respective Vcenter name ( likes as folder_count_vcenter name.csv)

2.Mail should be generated with the attachedment of the CSV files.

Thanks in advance!!

-subash.

0 Kudos
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Use something similar to my response in Re: Powercli Script to measure the count of Host and its Vm's in a each clusters :

Get-content C:\vc.txt | % {
  $vc = $_
  connect-viserver $vc
  $output = @()
      Folder = $_
    }
  }
  disconnect-viserver $vc –force –confirm:$false
  $output | Export-Csv -Path "C:\capacity_donot_delete\folder_count_$vc.csv" -NoTypeInformation -UseCulture
}

$Attachments = Get-ChildItem C:\capacity_donot_delete\folder_count_*.csv
Send-MailMessage -To "recipient@domain" -From "sender@domain" -SmtpServer mailrelay.domain -Subject "VC Reports" -Body "Report files attached." -Attachments $Attachments

suboss87
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Mk,

This finally works perfectly. Although I am trying to change the concept/logic of the requirement and script.

Whereby, Now I would looking to get the VM counts for the set of sub-folders which is mapped to a specific folder (likes as i have a folder name with "customers" whereby multiple cusotmers sub-folders will be pointing folder- customers.

I didn't find any -recurse option in get-folder command - Any Idea, How can we achieve this??

Thanks in advance!!

-Subash.

0 Kudos