VMware Cloud Community
jonl123
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Flash Cache Management vCenter v6.7

I want to configure Virtual Flash Cache, I appreciate this is removed in v7 but we won't be running that for a while and have a need for it now.

As this can only be configured through the old Flex interface, this is no longer usable since Adobe Flash was turned off a few days ago.

Are there any other options for configuring?

The ESXCLI commands only seem to allow you to view, no way to configure.

Possibly PowerCLI will do it with PowerCLI_Extensions but I can't get this to install.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey @jonl123,

Definitely your only solution is to use PowerCLI and even this is an old post, the feature did not evolve that much so probably the parameters are the same: https://blogs.vmware.com/PowerCLI/2013/11/vsan-and-vsphere-flash-read-cache-cmdlets.html

0 Kudos
jonl123
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried that but the latest version of the PowerCLI Extensions module won't install for me.

Others seem to have the same problem and no fix I can find - screenshot of issue attached.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@jonl123 

Moderator: Moved to PowerCLI Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I always wonder why people confidently reply to a question while they apparently only look at the replies on their Google search, without doing any further investigation.
But so be it 🙄

That Fling is long out of date and, afaik, not supported anymore.

You can access that functionality via the API methods.
The HostVFlashManager service gives you access to the ConfigureVFlashResourceEx method.
This allows you to perform all actions as also available through the Web Client (no Flash required).

You gain access to the service like this

$esxName = 'MyESx'
$esx = Get-VMHost -Name $esxName

$vfcMgr = Get-View -Id $esx.ExtensionData.ConfigManager.VFlashManager
$vfcMgr | Get-Member

Btw, CodeCapture might help you to get an idea of the code to actually use.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos