VMware Cloud Community
jamesCHM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual Disk Read/Write Rate

Hello,

My co-worker had developed a script that will take the read and write rates of each VMDK on a VM at a given interval and compile it into a csv file. This script only works from the time you run it FORWARD. i know these stats, at least by default are only realtime and from the webclient i am unable to get historical information. We apply throughput limits on each vmdk based on capacity and storage tier. in order to give clients the best sizing recommendations the historical data would be very useful. Is this something that can be achieved via powerCLI or maybe by adjusting statistical levels in Vsphere, or do you need somewhere to have the data dumped like we had when we had VREALIZE? 

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This most probably is related to the Statistics Levels you have defined on your vCenter.
In the PerformanceManager entry in the API Reference you can find which level is required to retain which metric.

In this case, under Storage IO/Virtual Disk you'll find that read and write rate require Statistics Level 2.

read.rate.png

I posted some more details on the concept in PowerCLI & vSphere statistics – Part 1 – The basics

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This most probably is related to the Statistics Levels you have defined on your vCenter.
In the PerformanceManager entry in the API Reference you can find which level is required to retain which metric.

In this case, under Storage IO/Virtual Disk you'll find that read and write rate require Statistics Level 2.

read.rate.png

I posted some more details on the concept in PowerCLI & vSphere statistics – Part 1 – The basics

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference