VMware Cloud Community
stephenrbarry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VUM cmdlets - get name of "conflicting VIBs" on ESXi hosts?

Hi all - I'm attempting to automate the upgrade of our ESXi hosts from 5.5.x and 6.0.x to 6.5.0 Update 1.  Almost every single host has come back "incompatible" after a scan against the HPE Custom ISO of ESXi 6.5.0 Update 1 due to "conflicting VIBs."  From what I can tell the workaround is to remove the VIBs, reboot, then rescan and retry the installation of 6.5.

What I can't figure out is how to access the name of the conflicting VIBs in an automated fashion; it doesn't seem to be exposed through any of the PowerCLI cmdlets.  Does anyone know if there's an API reference somewhere for Update Manager that may be able to get more info?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

PS C:\WINDOWS> $Compliance

Entity                         Baseline                            Status        

------                         --------                            ------        

esxi02                         ESXi 6.5 Update 1 - HPE Custom ISO  Incompatible  

2017-08-30_13-30-47.jpg

0 Kudos
6 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

0 Kudos
stephenrbarry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That seems to be more about listing patches from a patch baseline that are non-compliant.  I'm looking at a host upgrade baseline which doesn't seem to have the seem detailed info for conflicting VIBs when testing compliance.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Can you see the info when you do

$esx = Get-VMHost -Name MyEsx

Get-Compliance -Entity $esx -Detailed | %{

$_.IncompatibleHardwarePatches

}

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
stephenrbarry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unfortunately it does not.  It didn't return anything.

PS C:\WINDOWS> Get-Compliance -Entity $esx -Detailed | %{

}

WARNING: There were one or more problems with the Update Manager Server certificate:

* The X509 chain could not be built up to the root certificate.

Here is the detailed output from get-compliance -detailed:

PS C:\WINDOWS> Get-Compliance -Entity $esx -Detailed | Ft -AutoSize

Entity          Baseline                               Status       CompliantPatches NotCompliantPatches UnknownPaches NotApplicablePatches

------          --------                               ------       ---------------- ------------------- ------------- --------------------

esxi01          Critical Host Patches (Predefined)     NotCompliant 5                4                   0             39                 

esxi01          Non-Critical Host Patches (Predefined) NotCompliant 27               23                  0             291                

Entity   : esxi01

Status   : Incompatible

Baseline : VMware.VumAutomation.Types.HostUpgradeBaselineImpl

0 Kudos
stevespike
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same issue. I'd like to audit all the ESXi hosts that have conflicting VIBs preventing VUM from pushing out a new ESXi vendor ISO image.

I can use the commands

$Result = Get-Compliance -Entity $VmHost -Detailed -Baseline $PreGen9BaseLine

$Result | Get-Member

TypeName: VMware.VumAutomation.Types.BaselineCompliance

Name        MemberType Definition                                                               

----        ---------- ----------                                                               

Equals      Method     bool Equals(System.Object obj)                                           

GetHashCode Method     int GetHashCode()                                                        

GetType     Method     type GetType()                                                           

ToString    Method     string ToString()                                                        

Baseline    Property   VMware.VumAutomation.Types.Baseline Baseline {get;}                      

Entity      Property   VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Types.V1.Inventory.InventoryItem Entity {get;}

Status      Property   VMware.VumAutomation.Types.ComplianceStatus Status {get;}

LucD is correct when suggesting:

$esx = Get-VMHost -Name MyEsx

Get-Compliance -Entity $esx -Detailed | %{

}

But '-detailed' provides no additional fidelity when the baseline is an UPGRADE baseline.

I guess perhaps, using a combination of Get-EsxCli to scan ESXi hosts for the known conflicting VIBs will do. Just a shame that I cannot get a report directly from VUM, both via Web-client nor PowerCli.

Unless you guys did manage to figure this out??? (Or anyone else)

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I'm afraid not me Smiley Sad

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos