VMware Cloud Community
esxi1979
Expert
Expert

VSS swicth - find missing portgroup & send alert in cluster

Hello

What is best way to monitor cluster continuously for a missing port group on vss in cluster & report it.

eg cluster of 3 nodes , someone created and added portgroup VLAN10 on host1 & host2, but on host3, it was added as Vlan10 .. so an email & vcenter alert should trigger stating the config issue which need attention on port-group consistency ..  i this host profiles can do it ? can vCheck script do it ?  i will put that to run each hr ... anyways a real time alert is noting like it

We do in linux world very easy with ansible or say puppet the "configuration managemnet"

Thanks

Tags (1)
3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Since you can do this very easily in Linux, why ask for a PowerCLI script?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
esxi1979
Expert
Expert

I mean in Linux say, CentOS 7 , we do "configuration management"  with tools like Puppet, Ansible

Then what is the way forward in ESXi

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Afaik, there is no Alarm expression that allows you to detect a missing VSS on the ESXi nodes in a cluster.

In vCheck, there is currently no plugin that does this, but you could write one.

Hostprofiles are an option, but you would need to run the Test-VMHostProfileCompliance cmdlet from somewhere.

And then take appropriate action (email) in that script.

If you are going to schedule that script in any case, the easiest way is to perform the check for a missing VSS in that script.

And let the script send an email in case it discovers an issue.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference