VMware Cloud Community
jpoling
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMs and Disk Files

I am still a newbie with this. . .is there a command (or pipeline) I can use to list my VMs and the size of the associated disk files?

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That info is available.

The simplest method is like this:

Get-VM | Get-Harddisk

If you need specific info you can pipe the output to for example the Select-Object cmdlet.

Or if you want only specific entries you can filter the output with Where-Object cmdlet.

The possibilities are endless with PowerShell.

As an example, the following line list the name of the guest, the name of the hard disk and the size of the hard disk in KB

Get-VM | %{$_ | Tee-Object -variable vm | Get-HardDisk | %{Write-Host $vm.Name $_.Name $_.CapacityKB}}

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That info is available.

The simplest method is like this:

Get-VM | Get-Harddisk

If you need specific info you can pipe the output to for example the Select-Object cmdlet.

Or if you want only specific entries you can filter the output with Where-Object cmdlet.

The possibilities are endless with PowerShell.

As an example, the following line list the name of the guest, the name of the hard disk and the size of the hard disk in KB

Get-VM | %{$_ | Tee-Object -variable vm | Get-HardDisk | %{Write-Host $vm.Name $_.Name $_.CapacityKB}}

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
kattrap
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm not sure yet where the disconnect is, but your second (fancy) way to get the disk sizes is not correctly parsed for some of my VMs. For example, I have a VM with three vmdks, two are on one lun and the third is on a seperate lun.The second listing shows the correct values for the second and third disk (2.5GB and 329GB).

mrs1 Hard Disk 1 8388608

mrs1 Hard Disk 2 4718592

mrs1 Hard Disk 3 16777216

Get-VM | Get-HardDisk | select capacityKB,filename

8388608 mrs1/mrs1.vmdk

2621440 mrs1/mrs1_1.vmdk

344981504 mrs1/mrs1.vmdk

Previous to working with powershell (as I am a PS n00b), we were just running du on a host, pointing at the vmfs areas

du -sh /vmfs/volumes/DATASTORE/

LucD, if you have any ideas as to why the wacky numbers I would love to hear it.

---

datastore names have been altered to proctect the innocent.

0 Kudos