VMware Cloud Community
fborges555
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMkernel add specific number

HI gurus

is it possible to add a vmkernel on a specific number, I have around 21 ESXi hosts, and most of them have 5 vmks 0-4 now a hand full have only 4 vmk 0-3, I want to add a replication kernel vmk7 for all of them, is this possible using powercli?, where all of them have the same vmk7 for replication.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No, you can do that when you create the VMKernel with New-VMHostNetworkAdapter.
It will always take the next number in the series.
With the code I referred to earlier you can change that number, but it is indeed a 2-step process.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Afaik you can't rename an existing one, but you can remove/create with the desired name.
See Re: Powrcli to change vmkernel interface name - VMware Technology Network VMTN

fborges555
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

L.

Thanks for jumping in, I was not looking to rename what I have but like I have some hosts with only 2 vmkernels and I have other with 3 , so everytime youcreate a vmkernel it takes the next # in my case I have 2 host with vmko and vmk1 and other with vmk0,vmk1,vmk2, I was hoping that   New-vmhostnetworkadapter  would allow me to create a vmkkernel not to the next in the serie but for every host a vmk20 for example so all esxi host would have a vmk20 , do I make sense chief?

Thanks

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No, you can do that when you create the VMKernel with New-VMHostNetworkAdapter.
It will always take the next number in the series.
With the code I referred to earlier you can change that number, but it is indeed a 2-step process.

0 Kudos