VMware Cloud Community
pamiller21
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMTools Install Status Script

Hey all,

I am currently trying to make a script to report any VMs that do not have tools installed, but it is kicking back all my veeam replicas and that is just not needed.  Here is my script, what am I doing wrong to eliminate any VMs with the suffix _replica.  Here is my script:

Get-VM | Get-View | Select-Object @{N=”VM Name”;E={$_.Name}},@{Name=”VMware Tools”;E={$_.Guest.ToolsStatus}}

Get-View -ViewType VirtualMachine -Property Name,Guest.ToolsStatus -Filter @{

"Config.Template"="False";"Guest.ToolsStatus"="^(?!toolsOk$).*$" } | `Select-Object Name,@{Name="ToolsStatus";E={$_.Guest.ToolsStatus}} |

I have excluded some information before this for the vcenter connection and after because I FTP this to a web server.

Any help would be great, thank you!

Andy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pamiller21
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That works to exclude the _replica VMs, but there seems to be an error with the way your filtered for ToolsOk.  The output error only showed VMs with ToolsOK. So I edited it a little to this:

Get-View -ViewType VirtualMachine -Property Config.Template,Name,Guest.ToolsStatus -Filter @{

"Config.Template"="False";"Guest.ToolsStatus"="^(?!toolsOk$).*$" ;"Name"="^((?!_replica).)*$"} |

Select-Object Name,@{Name="ToolsStatus";E={$_.Guest.ToolsStatus}}

This worked, thank you so much!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Does this work for you ?

Get-View -ViewType VirtualMachine -Property Config.Template,Name,Guest.ToolsStatus -Filter @{

"Config.Template"="False";"Guest.ToolsStatus"="^toolsOk";"Name"="^((?!_replica).)*$"} |

Since negative matching and RegEx is not too straightforward, in the end you might pick the more simple solution

"Config.Template"="False";"Guest.ToolsStatus"="^toolsOk"} |

where{$_.Name -notmatch "_replica$"} |

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
pamiller21
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That works to exclude the _replica VMs, but there seems to be an error with the way your filtered for ToolsOk.  The output error only showed VMs with ToolsOK. So I edited it a little to this:

"Config.Template"="False";"Guest.ToolsStatus"="^(?!toolsOk$).*$" ;"Name"="^((?!_replica).)*$"} |

This worked, thank you so much!

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Oops, misread that, thought you wanted the VMs with ToolsOk.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos