VMware Cloud Community
salasos3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM swap utilization?

Hi all,

Im trying to get a CPU, MEM, Net and Swap utilization report with powercli and I got the first 3 but I've been looking on how to get the VMs swap utilization with no luck, is there a way/metric to get this info with powerCLI??

moderator edit by wila: Moved to PowerCLI discussions forum.

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
vbondzio
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Just to confirm, do you mean the amount of VM memory currently swapped out to disk by the hypervisor? If yes, that is just another metric. Are you using Get-Stat for the other 3? I.e. show what you are doing right now.

P.S.
I'm fairly sure there is a PowerCLI specific discussion group, you might want to post future questions there, don't duplicate this now of course.

0 Kudos
salasos3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is what I have for the other metrics.

I need the same but for Swap memory usage if that even exists

Get-VM | Where {$_.PowerState -eq "PoweredOn"} | Select Name, Host, NumCpu, MemoryMB, `
@{N="CPU Usage (Average), Mhz" ; E={[Math]::Round((($_ | Get-Stat -Stat cpu.usagemhz.average -Start (Get-Date).AddDays(-30) -IntervalMins 5 | Measure-Object Value -Average).Average),2)}}, `
@{N="Memory Usage (Average), %" ; E={[Math]::Round((($_ | Get-Stat -Stat mem.usage.average -Start (Get-Date).AddDays(-30) -IntervalMins 5 | Measure-Object Value -Average).Average),2)}} , `
@{N="Network Usage (Average), KBps" ; E={[Math]::Round((($_ | Get-Stat -Stat net.usage.average -Start (Get-Date).AddDays(-30) -IntervalMins 5 | Measure-Object Value -Average).Average),2)}} , `
@{N="Disk Usage (Average), KBps" ; E={[Math]::Round((($_ | Get-Stat -Stat disk.usage.average -Start (Get-Date).AddDays(-30) -IntervalMins 5 | Measure-Object Value -Average).Average),2)}}

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Depending on which Statistics Level you have defined on your vCenter, swap related metrics are available.
You can check on the memory page of the PerformanceManager or via Get-StatType, with the correct period.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
vbondzio
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What Luc said (of course).

I like Florian's overview here: https://www.virten.net/2015/05/which-performance-counters-are-available-in-each-statistic-level/  (assuming a default configuration)

Alternatively, if you look at vCenter's Advanced Performance Charts and can't see the metric for the object you want to collect in the time range you are interested in, you can't collect it using API either (in the past, you could select the metric but it would show as not available when trying to graph, with recent vCenter versions the selection changes based on selected time-span).

In your case, for a VM, the available swap statistics outside of Real Time would be swap in / out rate.

P.S.
Don't just adjust the stats levels for the collection intervals, it comes at a cost esp. in larger environments.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

You could of course also look at  my PowerCLI & VSphere Statistics – Part 1 – The Basics😁
It goes into a bit more detail on metrics, statistic levels, intervals, instances ...
And it is Part 1 of a series.

vbondzio
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

+1 Definitely read Luc's series, I'm still referring to it after all these years whenever I need to do something with PowerCLI and stats.  The only "eyesore" is the capital V in vSphere in the title 😉

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I'm afraid that was a WordPress feature that I didn't disable 🙄
Should be fixed now, and I hope your eyes will recover soon

0 Kudos