VMware Cloud Community
BKeadle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

$VM.Guest.OSFullName changes from day to day

I run an inventory report on schedule, and compare the changes, to keep track of VM changes in my environment. 

However, I've noticed that frequently, I'll have VMs that will inexplicably change the reported OS version, and then back again. For example:

***** VMInventoryReport_2022-09-28.csv
43: "SrvCC-GISC","vopesx8","24","60","60","Microsoft Windows Server 2019 (64-bit)","PoweredOn"
***** VMINVENTORYREPORT_2022-09-29.CSV
43: "SrvCC-GISC","vopesx8","24","60","60","Microsoft Windows Server 2016 or later (64-bit)","PoweredOn"

Comparing files VMInventoryReport_2022-09-29.csv and VMINVENTORYREPORT_2022-09-30.CSV
***** VMInventoryReport_2022-09-29.csv
43: "SrvCC-GISC","vopesx8","24","60","60","Microsoft Windows Server 2016 or later (64-bit)","PoweredOn"
***** VMINVENTORYREPORT_2022-09-30.CSV
43: "SrvCC-GISC","vopesx8","24","60","60","Microsoft Windows Server 2019 (64-bit)","PoweredOn"

Why would $VM.Guest.OSFullName property change, when the OS of the VM definitely did not change?  This happens for many different VMs, and different OSes

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That value is retrieved via the VMware Tools, if those are stopped or not communicating you might get the name derived form the GuestId.
It would be interesting to check if the VMware Tools are running in case the name is different.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

During a snapshot the Guest OS in a VM goes into "freeze" mode.
So at that point, the VMware Tools are probably not communicating.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Are all the ESXi nodes in your environment on the same version?

0 Kudos
BKeadle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

They are all the same version, 7.0.3, 19482537.  However, this has been occurring for a while, I think even against v6.5

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That value is retrieved via the VMware Tools, if those are stopped or not communicating you might get the name derived form the GuestId.
It would be interesting to check if the VMware Tools are running in case the name is different.

BKeadle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hmmm...good thought.  If the VM is in the middle of a  snapshot, might that cause VMware Tools from communicating?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

During a snapshot the Guest OS in a VM goes into "freeze" mode.
So at that point, the VMware Tools are probably not communicating.

BKeadle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That probably explains it then.  Thank you!

0 Kudos