VMware Cloud Community
chayes
Contributor
Contributor

VI Toolkit Commandlet or script to report HBA path status

This might be an obvious question (I'm new to this forum)...

Does anyone have, or is anyone aware of a VI toolkit commandlet or script to easily report on the status of physical (and logical) storage paths between ESX hosts and storage devices WITHOUT installing a host-side agent? I realize that storage vendors provide reporting mechanisms from the storage infrastructure end, but given the importance of paths to storage in the VM space, I see this as essential tool from an VM Admin's perspective--independent of what the storage infrastructure is telling me. Any feedback would be appreciated. If you could point me to a canned solution, all the better Smiley Happy

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Could you perhaps elaborate a bit on what exactly you want to report.

Is it static reporting, for example every day, that shows the storage paths ?

Or do you want more dynamic reporting, for example an alert when something diverts from your desired configuration ?

There have been some discussions in the VITK community on storage paths.

You could perhaps do a find on some of the obvious terms (hba, WWN, lun, scsi, active path...)

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
ewannema
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not sure if this is what you looking for or not, but I wrote this when I needed to check out our configuration. Be aware that for real time updates this may not work well because of the nature of the vpxa agents. I am going to look into calling a Refresh on the details before I collect the data. This is much like you have to click refresh in the VI Client to make sure you are getting up to date information.

connect-viserver <host or VirtualCenter>

Get-Host | .\DetailedLunPathInfo.ps1

1. or Get-Cluster <clustername> | Get-Host | .\DetailedLunPathInfo.ps1

To save you can always | Export-Csv <report filename>

-

Example Output

-

Hostname : host

Volume : lun001

Lun : vmhba0:0:3

Vendor : DGC

LunPolicy : mru

PathState : active

Hostname : host

Volume : lun001

Lun : vmhba0:0:3

Vendor : DGC

LunPolicy : mru

PathState : standby

http://wannemacher.us
chayes
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, this is kinda what I'm talking about as it includes the path status, which is the primary need. Worded very basically (LucD wanted some clarification), I need to know when storage paths are down; active or otherwise. And again, I'd rather have the means to get this from the Virtual Infrastructure perspective (rather than the storage side). The refresh or static data topic is not really an issue as I would simply schedule the report.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Perhaps also have a look at the script in .

That shows perhaps what you're after.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference