VMware Cloud Community
rbmadison
Contributor
Contributor

VCB Integration - CMDLETS?

Are you integrating VCB functionality into the VI toolkit CMDLETS? It would be really really really nice to use a CMDLET to do a VCB functions. It would be nice to just run a cmdlet to do a full backup of a VM, etc. Please include a CMDLET to do restores also. It would make VCB so much easier to use. Did I say it would be really nice? No pressure, well yes I am trying to pressure you. Smiley Happy I think everyone would like this.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Are you integrating VCB functionality into the VI toolkit CMDLETS? It would be really really really nice to use a CMDLET to do a VCB functions. It would be nice to just run a cmdlet to do a full backup of a VM, etc. Please include a CMDLET to do restores also. It would make VCB so much easier to use. Did I say it would be really nice? No pressure, well yes I am trying to pressure you. Smiley Happy I think everyone would like this.

Thanks!

We've been hearing this request from a number of people, but I think one thing that would help us out a lot would be to better understand how PowerShell would help make this better. In what ways are the existing command line executables difficult to use? Is it usability, or are there things that are just hard to do (restoring to an alternative location sounds hard to me). If there are uses of the current commandline that are too hard, which uses in particular?

0 Kudos
rbmadison
Contributor
Contributor

The existing command lines are somewhat difficult to use and as you stated restoring is too difficult. In general the VCB utilities are somewhat obscure. If you download VCB and install it that isn't all you need to do to get it to work. You then have to download ranger or the plugins for your backup client and then get them all to work together. Having to get VCB, VCB backup client plugins, ranger, and veritas all to work together so backups work is way to complicated. Using batch files for some of these things is also very archaic because batch files are so limited compared to what is available like vbs or js files which work right out of the box. If you added VCB functionality to CMDLETs then the various backup agents could use the cmdlets to query VC information and better integrate into VCB. Since powershell is Microsoft's direction in command line scripting it makes sense that vendors might put support for it in their products. Powershell in general would also make VCB more functional and help promote the community to make VCB even better. If you look at what some other other backup add-ons to VCB do they are just simply adding ease of use and a gui or scripting on top of VCB. I know many of them have evolved so they don't need VCB any longer but that is because VCB in it's current form is limited. Powershell could address these limitations and hopefully promote the community to make VCB better and easier to use. It also just makes sense to make it part of the VI toolkit. Without it then the toolkit would be missing a key component of using VI.

Thanks

0 Kudos