VMware Cloud Community
green_bread
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Using PowerCLI to remove vShield driver from VMWare Tools?

Looking for a little bit of help here, please:

We have several hundred Windows 2012 servers in our environment and are having issues with the vShield driver bug in ESX 5.1 that causes a memory leak. I have been tasked with removing the vShield driver from all of the W2012 servers and I would like to avoid doing them one-by-one. Below is the idea I came up with... if there are better ways of doing this, I am open to suggestions. Thank you in advance for any guidance you can offer!

I am using "get-vmguest" to identify the W2012 servers:
get-vmguest * | Where-Object {$_.OSFullName -like "Windows Server 2012"}

I would then like to pipe that in to an "update-tools" (if that is the right cmdlet to use) command that would accomplish the same thing as doing as the following command that uses the setup.exe on the VMTools CD:
setup64.exe /S /v "/qn REBOOT=R REMOVE=VShield"

I know that you can do the update-tools -noreboot to suppress the reboot, but is it possible to feed "advanced options" like the ones above in to the update-tools command to have it remove the vShield driver?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
green_bread
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, I kept searching and it looks like its not possible to use the update-tools cmdlet to accomplish this.

Custom Vmware tools Install through Power CLI using switches

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
green_bread
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, I kept searching and it looks like its not possible to use the update-tools cmdlet to accomplish this.

Custom Vmware tools Install through Power CLI using switches

0 Kudos