VMware Cloud Community
Biyouk
Contributor
Contributor

Using PowerCLI for Replication Manager and Vsphere 5.1

Hi Everyone

I'm working for a company which has several small offices. These small office requires small virtualized solution. To reduce cost, I'm wondering if we can eliminate the backup locally by enabling Vmware Replication Manager between the local site and our main Data Center. I would like to perform the  backup of the vmdk files directly in the IDC using EMC AVAMAR. This solution can't work without using PowerCLI and I would like to have feedback from PowerCLI Expert.

The replica of the vmdk files in the main Data Center won't be registered in VCenter and EMC Avamar won't be able to perform image level backup of the VM guests. I'm wondering if this algorithm below will work and if it's possible to use Power CLI to perform these steps :

1) Disable Replication Manager

2) Register the VM guest to VCenter

3) Backup these VM guests Using EMC Avamar

4) Remove the VM Guest from Inventory in VCenter

5) re-enable Replication Manager

I appreciate any feedback

JFN

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I think you're question would have a better chance of getting a meaningfull answer in the vSphere Replication community.

But then what you are looking for is not really Replication Manager.

Points 2 and 4 will definitely work from a PowerCLI/PowerShell script

I can't tell for points 1 and 5, but perhaps the Replication Manager API can give an answer.

Point 3 depends on the fact if you can interface with the EMC Avamar from a script. I guess that means looking at EMC docs or blog posts.

Did you already look at PowerCLI and SRM – what you need to know! that is a good intro on using PowerCLI inside Replication.

Perhaps you can find some pointers for 1 and 5 in there.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos