VMware Cloud Community
salcinad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

User Horizon Events seems not to macth if TimePeriod filter is changed

I need to provide an report when the assigned user was last logged in to his dedicated VDI. We have here one Horizon 7.13.1 Connection Server and one VMware UAG.

I was able, with help from Wouter Kursten Horizon View vCheck [1] code, to create an Script which will do most of my need.

But if I get user Events with filters below, they are not the same. If I take for example "month" as TimePeriod, then it's last Logged In Date and Time will be different then the with "all" as TimePeriod Filter.

PS C:\scripts\Horizon> $lastlogoneventmonth = (Get-HVEvent -HvDbServer $eventdb -TimePeriod 'month' -SeverityFilter AUDIT_SUCCESS -MessageFilter 'has logged in' -UserFilter User1).events | Select-Object -Last 1
Number of records found :  8

PS C:\scripts\Horizon> $lastlogoneventall = (Get-HVEvent -HvDbServer $eventdb -TimePeriod 'all' -SeverityFilter AUDIT_SUCCESS -MessageFilter 'has logged in' -UserFilter User1).events | Select-Object -Last 1
Number of records found :  20

PS C:\scripts\Horizon> $lastlogoneventmonth
UserName  : domain1\User1
Severity  : AUDIT_SUCCESS
EventTime : 10/22/2021 06:35:31.593
Module    : Broker
Message   : User domain1\User1 has logged in

PS C:\scripts\Horizon> $lastlogoneventall
UserName  : domain1\User1
Severity  : AUDIT_SUCCESS
EventTime : 08/20/2021 06:39:44.717
Module    : Broker
Message   : User domain1\User1 has logged in
PS C:\scripts\Horizon> 

Could someone explain this or have some other solution on how to get user Last Logon Date/Time.

[1] https://www.retouw.nl/2017/06/06/building-a-horizon-view-vcheck-part-3-2/

@Magneetthanks for your greate Blog Archive which helped me a lot to learn about Horizon API.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
salcinad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

With the help of co-worker, who explained me that the Database Date are kept in memory and weird sorted, that I should Use "Sort-Object EventTime" and then “select-object first 1” in this case, which lead to the solution suitable for my need.

$lastlogonevent = (Get-HVEvent -HvDbServer $eventdb -TimePeriod 'month' -SeverityFilter AUDIT_SUCCESS -MessageFilter 'has logged in' -UserFilter $username[1]).events | Sort-Object EventTime -Descending | Select-Object -First 1

Seems there are some weird (at least for me) sorting stuff going on in VMware.Hv.Helper Get-HVEvent function (link below) but they are out of my knowledge to propose any fix.

https://github.com/vmware/PowerCLI-Example-Scripts/blob/master/Modules/VMware.Hv.Helper/VMware.HV.He...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I suggest opening an Issue on the vCheckReport/vCheck-HorizonView repo.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
salcinad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am actually not using vCheck but some code from it. In the Link posted in first post, I am using code from "13 Dedicated Full Clones Assignment.ps1" and "14 Manual Desktop Pool Information.ps1" which I then combined with Get-HVEvents.

We have here Manuel Desktop Pool with Dedicated VDIs.

Only the problem is, that Get-HVEvent does not get me same DateTime when using TimePeriod filters. Maybe I am doing it wrong there.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Could it be that one shows the time in UTC and the other in your local timezone?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
salcinad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Tiime is not that important, actually Time will not be used at all. If you look in the first post, you will see that Date is what I get wrongly (I think) for the same user, just using different TimePeriod.

0 Kudos
salcinad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

With the help of co-worker, who explained me that the Database Date are kept in memory and weird sorted, that I should Use "Sort-Object EventTime" and then “select-object first 1” in this case, which lead to the solution suitable for my need.

$lastlogonevent = (Get-HVEvent -HvDbServer $eventdb -TimePeriod 'month' -SeverityFilter AUDIT_SUCCESS -MessageFilter 'has logged in' -UserFilter $username[1]).events | Sort-Object EventTime -Descending | Select-Object -First 1

Seems there are some weird (at least for me) sorting stuff going on in VMware.Hv.Helper Get-HVEvent function (link below) but they are out of my knowledge to propose any fix.

https://github.com/vmware/PowerCLI-Example-Scripts/blob/master/Modules/VMware.Hv.Helper/VMware.HV.He...

0 Kudos