VMware Cloud Community
vibe666
Contributor
Contributor

Use PowerCLI to check log file location for service console, vmkernel & hostd?

Basically, I need to be able to confirm the locations of the logs for service console, vmkernel & hostd on a group of esxi 4.1 hosts (some managed, some unmanaged) for a specific environment.

I don't need to do anything with them (for now, although that may change), so I was thinking that there must be some way in the PowerCLI to pull that information down, but I can't for the life of me figure out how as all the commands seem to be for manipulating logs, rather than just checking their location?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Did you already see Alan's post called PowerCLI: Reading host log files ?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
vibe666
Contributor
Contributor

yep, saw that today. 

my problem is that i'm not interested in the logs themselves, just their location and everything I've found so far goes into great detail about extracting, editing and moving them around, but nothing that will tell me their current location.

basically, we have an audit requirement that the logs should be in a certain location and i need to confirm this for (initially) 40 hosts for the first wave of an audit readiness project, but once we can get it working on these hosts it will be run against hundreds more so it needs to be something that can be automated.

0 Kudos