VMware Cloud Community
Guv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Updating vmware tools and virtual hardware

We are using VC2.5 and have 5 esx hosts running 3.5. We are now planning to upgrade to vsphere, and I have a list of few questions regarding the vmware tools and hardware upgrade. We have about 70 virtual machines so I would like to automate this process as possible. In terms of powershell

I have seen a script from the ict-freak.nl website. The link is

http://ict-freak.nl/2009/07/15/powercli-upgrading-vhardware-to-vsphere-part-2-vms/

Has anyone used this link, is good to use, any issues. Can you apply it for a group of virtual machines first to test. Are there any other useful scripts to upgrade.

Or Is it best to use update manager to upgrade the virtual machines and use the workflow wizard as mentioned in the vmware documents.

Is anyone able to advise on the above questions, and if its better to use update manager or powershell.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I used Arne's script to update the virtual hardware in my vSPhere environment.

I haven't encountered any problems.

The script, as Arne posted it on PoshCode, will take all VMs from a specific folder and convert them.

So you can test with some VMs by placing them in a folder and passing that folder to the script.

The update manager method works as well but you can't automate it.

That's why I preferred the script.

Blog: LucD notes

Twitter: lucd22

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

Guv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am having difficulty applying this script. How would you apply it to a folder. Firstly you would copy and paste the script in a file and then rename it with extenstion.ps1. Then how would you apply it to a folder, do you specify parameters to the script.

Any ideas thanks

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Use the "download" option at the top on the PoshCode website to download the .ps1 file.

Then execute

.\"Upgrade VM's to v7.ps1"

Arne' script prompts for the foldername.

That's done in this line

$Folder = Read-Host "Enter the name of the folder where the VMs are stored"

Blog: LucD notes

Twitter: lucd22

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference