VMware Cloud Community
piercj2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Update Manager cmdlets missing after upgrade

Recently, I upgraded to Windows 10 and, Powershell was automatically upgraded to

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> $PSVersionTable

Name                           Value                                                                                                                                                                

----                           -----                                                                                                                                                                

PSVersion                      5.0.10586.63                                                                                                                                                         

PSCompatibleVersions           {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0...}                                                                                                                                              

BuildVersion                   10.0.10586.63                                                                                                                                                        

CLRVersion                     4.0.30319.42000                                                                                                                                                      

WSManStackVersion              3.0                                                                                                                                                                  

PSRemotingProtocolVersion      2.3                                                                                                                                                                  

SerializationVersion           1.1.0.1

I noticed that my PowerCLI snapins were in trouble straight away and needed to be reinstalled

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-PowerCLIVersion

PowerCLI Version

----------------

VMware vSphere PowerCLI 6.3 Release 1 build 3737840

---------------

Component Versions

---------------

VMware Cloud Infrastructure Suite PowerCLI Component 6.3 build 3709081

VMWare AutoDeploy PowerCLI Component 6.0 build 3736841

VMWare ImageBuilder PowerCLI Component 6.0 build 3736841

VMware vSphere PowerCLI Component 6.3 build 3709081

VMware vSphere Update Manager PowerCLI 5.5 build 1302474

Even after these fresh installs / upgrades, I'm still missing cmdlets, for Update Manager in particular.

get-command -Module vmware* | Sort-Object Name

shows no VUM cmdlets

I use get-compliance and remediate-inventory a lot and now I don't have access to them.

Anyone know if it's safe to install Update Manager PowerCLI 5.0 with PowerCLI 6.3 R1 or, if VMware are planning on releasing a new version of the Ipdate Manager PowerCLI any time soon ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That is normal, PowerCLI 6.3R1 is unfortunately still a mix of modules and PSSnapin.

So you'll have to load both (preferable through the Initialize-PowerCLIEnvironment.ps1 script, or as an alternative with my Enable-PowerCLI function).

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you go for PowerCLI 6.3R1, you'll have to uninstall the Update Manager pssnapin 5.5.

Support for Update Manager 5.5 is included in PowerCLI (since 6.0R2), see also Update Manager Cmdlets are now included in PowerCLI since 6.0 R2

If all goes well, you should ultimately see

pcli.png

0 Kudos
piercj2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks LucD,

I uninstalled the Update Manager 5.5 pssnapin using Add/Remove Applications in Windows.

To be sure, I uninstalled all 5.5 clients.

I then reinstalled VMware-PowerCLI-6.3.0-3737840.exe

Get-Module -name vmware*

returns nothing now (unless I first type add-pssnapin vmware*) and then only returns Cis.core, Common and Sdk

Get-PowerCliVersion is also missing a few components.

I think I'll try uninstalling everything again, reinstall PowerShell and then VMware-PowerCLI-6.3.0-3737840

thanks,

Jason

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That is normal, PowerCLI 6.3R1 is unfortunately still a mix of modules and PSSnapin.

So you'll have to load both (preferable through the Initialize-PowerCLIEnvironment.ps1 script, or as an alternative with my Enable-PowerCLI function).

0 Kudos
piercj2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks LucD, your Enable-PowerCLI function worked perfectly

0 Kudos