VMware Cloud Community
zomx
Contributor
Contributor

Unexpected get-view -viewtype virtualmachine -filter results /w fix

Just a heads up for anyone that creates PowerCLI scripts and depends on them for automation efforts.

The scenario:

$folderView =  get-folder myvmfolder | get-view

get-view  -viewtype virtualmachine -filter @{"parent"=$folderView.moref.value}

Returns VMs in the folder as expected

get-view -viewtype virtualmachine -filter`

@{"parent"=$folderView.moref.value;"config.template"="False"}

Using any additional filter along with the parent property results in additional VMs being listed that are not actually located in the VM folder myvmfolder.

get-vm vm-x | get-view

Results for one of the unexpected VMs shows no value in the parent property

Talked to vCenter admin in charge of the particular system. Noticed that the PowerCLI user I was running the scripts as has read access to view the other VMs Resource Pool, but not read access to view the VM folder where the extra VMs reside. In other words I don't get any results from running get-folder otherfolder. The other VM results recently showed up when running a set of PowerCLI scripts. The other VMs were recently unregistered  from a vCenter 3.5 system and registerd on the vCenter 4.1 system by one of the admins.

Code fix to ensure all of the get-view commands filter only specified folder VMs as expected and not grab other VMs that have a null parent property. I'd rather fix the original script to account for the unexpected  configuration since the scripts are distributed across the organization  for use on multiple vSphere systems.

get-view -viewtype virtualmachine -filter`

@{"parent"=$folderView.moref.value;"config.template"="False"}`

| where  {$_.parent -ne $null}

Sort of odd, not sure if its a bug. If I specify the parent shouldn't PowerCLI reject entries with $null parent properties? Anyhow have a band aid fix for now in the interim.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Very strange, normally only the root folder can have the Parent property set to $null.

See the ManagedEntity object.

I'm trying to understand how these newly registered VMs can end up with a $null parent.

Where do these newly registered VMs turn up in your vSphere client ?

In the root of an ESX(i) host or cluster ?

Or in a resource pool in a cluster ?

Is the datastore on which these VMs are stored attached to any of the hosts ?

Can these newly registered VMs be powered on ?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
zomx
Contributor
Contributor

Luc,

thanks for the reply

Where do these newly registered VMs turn up in your vSphere client ?

In  the root of an ESX(i) host or cluster ?

They turned up under the cluster object in the inventory tree - not under a VM folder or Resource Pool

Is the datastore on which these VMs are stored attached  to any of the hosts ?

All of our datastores are attached to all of the hosts. Believe the VMs were on shared datastores.

Can these newly registered VMs be powered  on ?

They were powered on when I saw them.

-- Someone moved the VMs over the weekend and they are no longer in my inventory tree. I only have access to certain resources on this particular vSphere system

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I tried to recreate this behaviour but didn't succeed.

Must have something to do with the registration of those VMs.

Any clue how this registration was done ?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos