VMware Cloud Community
Nagarjun111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unable to get the ServiceTag Info

Hi Admins,

After searching the community I got some script on Service Tag and I modified the script slightly. However I am not getting the expected results. Could you please check and update the below code?

My Script:

$user = 'userid@company.net'

$pswd = 'password'

Import-Csv -Path .\Host.csv -UseCulture -PipelineVariable row |

ForEach-Object -Process {

try

{

(Get-VMHost $row.host | Get-View).Summary.Hardware.OtherIdentifyingInfo[0].IdentifierValue

$result = ""

}

catch

{

$result = "null"

}

$row | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name 'result' -Value $result -PassThru

# $row | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name 'vCenter' -Value $@{N ="vCenter";E={([uri]$_.ExtensionData.Client.ServiceUrl).Host}} -PassThru

} | Export-Csv -Path .\servicetags-result.csv -NoTypeInformation

Expected Output:

servicetags                                        result                               vCenter

hostname1.site1.domain.net              DellServiceTag1              vCenter1.site1.domain.net

hostname2.site1.domain.net              DellServiceTag2              vCenter1.site1.domain.net

hostname1.site2.domain.net              DellServiceTag3              vCenter2.site2.domain.net

hostname1.site2.domain.net              DellServiceTag4             vCenter2.site2.domain.net

hostname1.site3.domain.net              DellServiceTag5             vCenter3.site3.domain.net

But getting the output as below:

Length

Message was edited by: User. Updated the code, code output & attached file.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Can you give it a try like this?

$pswd = 'password'

$esx = Get-VMHost $row.host -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

$result = ''

if($esx){

$result = $esx.ExtensionData.Summary.Hardware.OtherIdentifyingInfo[0].IdentifierValue

}

$row | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name 'result' -Value $result -PassThru

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

15 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You are sure your CSV file contains a column with the name 'host'?

Also, I'm not sure what you are trying to do in the try-block.
You fect a value, which is then placed in the pipeline.

And then there is the line with $result = '', not sure what the purpose of that is.

0 Kudos
Nagarjun111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi LuCD,

Thank you for the response. I have attached my csv as well as made some minor changes to the code but still it is not working.

Hence request you to please ignore my errors in it and modify as necessary to show the mentioned output in my First Post?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Can you give it a try like this?

$pswd = 'password'

$esx = Get-VMHost $row.host -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

$result = ''

if($esx){

$result = $esx.ExtensionData.Summary.Hardware.OtherIdentifyingInfo[0].IdentifierValue

}

Nagarjun111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi LucD,

Thank you for the quick response and the code. I see now it is not giving any errors and providing a result but not as expected.

Our device is a Nutanix Box and it has Dell nodes in it. So the code returns the serial number of the Nutnaix box where the output is same for all 4 servers in it.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

But that is another problem afaik, which you probably should raise in the HCI vendor's forum.

0 Kudos
Nagarjun111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi LucD,

After digging some post, I got the below code. It fits almost my requirement, it doesn't have vCenter name and it doesn't export to a csv. Please add the vCenter name to the below code and make it exported to csv.

$hostname = Get-View -ViewType HostSystem -property name,Hardware.SystemInfo

foreach ($hname in $hostname)

{

$hn = $hname.name

$Man = $hname.Hardware.SystemInfo.Vendor

$Mod = $hname.Hardware.SystemInfo.Model

$serviceTag = $($hname.Hardware.SystemInfo.OtherIdentifyingInfo | where {$_.IdentifierType.Key -eq “ServiceTag” }).IdentifierValue

$hname | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name VMHost -Value $hn

$hname | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name OEM -Value $Man

$hname | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name Model -Value $Mod

$hname | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name ServiceTag -Value $serviceTag

}$hostname | select VMHost, OEM, Model, ServiceTag

My actual requirement is to perform a upgrade/maintenance activity during this Christmas time for our all servers. So it would be very helpful to have the list of all servers with detailed information such as

vCentername     vCenterUUID      Server/hostname          ModelNo          ServiceTag    Warranty      ESXiVersionName       BIOS          AdapterFirmware     NetworkDriver     FCDriver     HBAModel     HBADriver     HBAModule     HBAVersion

I have the below code can this be updated to reflect the above said fields? If the field Warranty is unable to be fetched then that can be skipped as it not required for the upgrade activity but for a later use.

$ResultFile = "C:\temp\Result.CSV"

$vmhosts = Get-Datacenter | Get-VMHost

$report = @()

foreach ( $ESXHost in $vmhosts)

{

$HWModel = Get-VMHost $ESXHost

$esxcli = Get-EsxCli -vmhost $ESXHost

$info = $esxcli.network.nic.get("vmnic0")

$elxnet = $esxcli.software.vib.list() | Where-Object { $_.name -eq "elxnet" }

$lpfc = $esxcli.system.module.list() | Where-Object { $_.Name -eq '*' }

if ($lpfc)

{

$lpfc = $esxcli.system.module.get("*")

}

$report += $ESXHost |

Select-Object @{N = "Hostname"; E = { $_.Name } },

@{N = "IPAddress"; E = { ($_ | Get-VMHostNetwork).VirtualNic | Where-Object { $_.ManagementTrafficEnabled } | Select-Object -ExpandProperty IP } },

Manufacturer,

ProcessorType,

@{N = "BIOS version"; E = { $_.ExtensionData.Hardware.BiosInfo.BiosVersion } },

@{N = "Hardware-Model"; E = { $HWModel.Model } },

@{N = "Adapter-Firmware"; E = { $info.DriverInfo.FirmwareVersion } },

@{N = "Network-Driver"; E = { $info.DriverInfo.Version } },

@{N = "FC-Driver"; E = { $elxnet.version.substring(0, 14) } },

@{N = "HBA Model"; E = { ($_ | get-vmhosthba | select-object -ExpandProperty Model) -join ", " } },

@{N = "Driver"; E = { ($_ | get-vmhosthba | select-object -ExpandProperty Driver) -join ", " } },

@{N = 'HBA-Module'; E = { $lpfc.Module } },

@{N = 'HBA-Version'; E = { $lpfc.Version } }

}

$report | Export-Csv -Path $ResultFile -NoTypeInformation

I also get this below warning as well.

Warning:

PS C:\temp> .\GetEsxinfo.ps1

WARNING:

The Get-EsxCli cmdlet provides a new interface to the ESXCLI functionality.

Use the -V2 parameter to switch to the new cmdlet interface.

Check the cmdlet help for more information.

Scripts that use the old cmdlet interface may not be compatible across two different versions of the ESX server.

The old cmdlet interface is deprecated and will be removed in a future version.

WARNING: The 'VirtualNic' property of VMHostNetworkInfo type is deprecated. Use 'Get-VMHostNetworkAdapter' cmdlet

instead.

My CLI version is 11.5 and all of the components are recently updated.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************

PowerCLI Version

----------------

VMware PowerCLI 11.5.0 build 14912921

---------------

Component Versions

---------------

VMware Common PowerCLI Component 11.5 build 14898112

VMware Cis Core PowerCLI Component PowerCLI Component 11.5 build 14898113

VMware VimAutomation VICore Commands PowerCLI Component PowerCLI Component 11.5 build 14899560

VMWare ImageBuilder PowerCLI Component 6.7 build 11233116

VMWare AutoDeploy PowerCLI Component 6.7 build 11233116

VMware VimAutomation Vds Commands PowerCLI Component PowerCLI Component 11.2 build 12483615

VMware VimAutomation Cloud PowerCLI Component PowerCLI Component 11.0 build 10379994

VMware High Availability PowerCLI Component 6.0 build 000000

VMware HorizonView PowerCLI Component 7.1.0 build 14653756

VMware VimAutomation License PowerCLI Component PowerCLI Component 11.3 build 13990093

VMware VimAutomation PCloud PowerCLI Component PowerCLI Component 10.0 build 7893924

VMware VimAutomation Storage PowerCLI Component PowerCLI Component 11.5 build 14901686

VMware VimAutomation vROps PowerCLI Component PowerCLI Component 10.0 build 7893921

VMware vSphere Update Manager PowerCLI 6.5 build 7862888

*****************************************************************************************************************************************

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Try like this

Get-View -ViewType HostSystem -property name, Hardware.SystemInfo |

New-Object PSObject -Property @{

VMHost    = $_.Name

OEM       = $_.Hardware.SystemInfo.Vendor

Model     = $_.Hardware.SystemInfo.Model

SeviceTag = $($_.Hardware.SystemInfo.OtherIdentifyingInfo | where { $_.IdentifierType.Key -eq “ServiceTag” }).IdentifierValue

vCenter   = ([uri]$_.Client.ServiceUrl).Host

}

} | Select VMHost, OEM, Model, ServiceTag, vCenter |

Export-Csv -Path .\report.csv -NoTypeInformation -UseCulture

The Get-EsxCli warning is just that, a warning.
You should start using the V2 switch, but note that the methods are invoked slightly different.

See PowerCLI 6.3 R1: Get-ESXCLI Why the V2? for more details.

Nagarjun111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi LucD,

The provided code gives the data and export but except for ServiceTag.

I am getting the ServiceTag filed is blank rest other colums are having valid data.

Also could you kindly provide me the code for the second question(updated in red now) in my previous post?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I used the exact same code as your script, so that property shouldn't have been there in your script either.

Note that the layout of and the values in the OtherIdentifyingInfo property are marked with "This information may be vendor specific" in the HostSystemInfo object documentation.
There is no guarantee that you will actually get a meaningfull value from there.

It is the HW Vendor that decides if and what goes in there.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Btw, for obtaining HW info from the box, I would suggest having a look at the HW vendor's set of cmdlets.

0 Kudos
Nagarjun111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for the response LucD​. I understand now.

Could you kindly look into my second question in my previous post where I am searching for the below info for servers. Can this be provided to me as well?

vCentername     vCenterUUID      Server/hostname          ModelNo          ServiceTag    Warranty      ESXiVersionName       BIOSVerison          AdapterFirmware     NetworkDriver     FCDriver     HBAModel     HBADriver     HBAModule     HBAVersion

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The 2nd script you mentioned has most of that information if I understand correctly.
What is missing?

0 Kudos
Nagarjun111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The missing info is

ESXiVersionName      HBAModel     HBADriver     HBAModule     HBAVersion

Also in my script the output for "HBAModel     HBADriver     HBAModule     HBAVersion" are blank or sometimes it gives the below info

HBA Model

Lewisburg SATA AHCI Controller, Lewisburg SATA AHCI Controller, Lewisburg SATA AHCI Controller, Lewisburg SATA AHCI Controller, 88SE9230 PCIe SATA 6Gb/s Controller, Lewisburg SATA AHCI Controller, Lewisburg SATA AHCI Controller, Lewisburg SATA AHCI Controller, Lewisburg SATA AHCI Controller, Lewisburg SATA AHCI Controller, Lewisburg SATA AHCI Controller, 88SE9230 PCIe SATA 6Gb/s Controller, Lewisburg SATA AHCI Controller, 88SE9230 PCIe SATA 6Gb/s Controller, Lewisburg SATA AHCI Controller, Lewisburg SATA AHCI Controller, Lewisburg SATA AHCI Controller

Driver

ahci, ahci, ahci, ahci, ahci, ahci, ahci, ahci, ahci, ahci, ahci, ahci, ahci, ahci, ahci, ahci, ahci

HBA-Module

HBA-Version

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The following uses the V2 version of Get-EsxCli.

I'm not sure what your are trying to get into $lpfc. Afaik there are no modules with the name '*'.

That you get multiple values in some properties is due to the -join operator.

$ResultFile = "C:\temp\Result.CSV"

Get-Datacenter | Get-VMHost |

$hba = Get-VMHostHba -VMHost $_

$esxcli = Get-EsxCli -VMHost $_ -V2

$info = $esxcli.network.nic.get.Invoke(@{nicname='vmnic0'})

$elxnet = $esxcli.software.vib.list.Invoke() | Where-Object { $_.name -eq 'elxnet' }

$lpfc = $esxcli.system.module.list.Invoke() | Where-Object { $_.Name -like '*' }

New-Object PSObject -Property @{

HostName = $_.Name

ESXiVersion = $_.Version

IPAddress = ($_ | Get-VMHostNetwork).VirtualNic | Where-Object { $_.ManagementTrafficEnabled } | Select-Object -ExpandProperty IP

Manufacturer = $_.Manufacturer

ProcessorType = $_.ProcessorType

'BIOS version' = $_.ExtensionData.Hardware.BiosInfo.BiosVersion

'Hardware-Model' = $_.Model

'Adapter-Firmware' = $info.DriverInfo.FirmwareVersion

'Network-Driver' = $info.DriverInfo.Version

'FC-Driver' = $elxnet.version.substring(0, 14)

'HBA Model' = $hba.Model -join ", "

'Driver' = $hba.Driver -join ", "

'HBA-Module' = $lpfc.Module

'HBA-Version' = $lpfc.Version

}

} | Export-Csv -Path $ResultFile -NoTypeInformation

Nagarjun111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The code worked flawlessly. Thank you so much for all your efforts and patience. I have commented the $lpfc as I do not remember what I had created earlier for.

Once again A BIG THANK YOU AND I SINCERELY APPRECIATE YOUR EFFORTS on this.

0 Kudos