VMware Cloud Community
SHamel5575
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unable to Export-vm on newest version of Powercli

Im trying to export some powered off VM's to move between environments, and when i run the export-vm command i get an error.    When i run the same command on a machine with the older version of powercli (5.5 release 2)  it exports fine.   Im running the commands against a vcenter 6.5 environment.   I have tried the new powercli from several machines with the same results.  I dont know if theres a bug in the export command, or if something has changed in the syntax.  Any help would be appreciated.

PS C:\Windows\system32> get-vm VM_Name|export-vm -destination d:\

export-vm : 5/29/2019 3:50:12 PM        Export-VApp             An error occurred while sending the request.

At line:1 char:24

+ get-vm VM_Name|export-vm -destination d:\

+                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Export-VApp], ViError

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_NfcLease_RunNfcTask_Error,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.ExportVA

pp

Heres what i have installed

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-Module -Name VMware* -ListAvailable

Directory: C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules

ModuleType Version    Name                                ExportedCommands

---------- -------    ----                                ----------------

Script     6.7.0.1... VMware.DeployAutomation             {Add-DeployRule, Add-ProxyServer, Add-ScriptBundle, Copy-D...

Script     6.7.0.1... VMware.ImageBuilder                 {Add-EsxSoftwareDepot, Add-EsxSoftwarePackage, Compare-Esx...

Manifest   11.2.0.... VMware.PowerCLI

Script     6.7.0.1... VMware.Vim

Script     11.2.0.... VMware.VimAutomation.Cis.Core       {Connect-CisServer, Disconnect-CisServer, Get-CisService}

Script     11.0.0.... VMware.VimAutomation.Cloud          {Add-CIDatastore, Connect-CIServer, Disconnect-CIServer, G...

Script     11.2.0.... VMware.VimAutomation.Common

Script     11.2.0.... VMware.VimAutomation.Core           {Add-PassthroughDevice, Add-VirtualSwitchPhysicalNetworkAd...

Script     11.2.0.... VMware.VimAutomation.Hcx            {Connect-HCXServer, Disconnect-HCXServer, Get-HCXAppliance...

Script     7.6.0.1... VMware.VimAutomation.HorizonView    {Connect-HVServer, Disconnect-HVServer}

Script     10.0.0.... VMware.VimAutomation.License        Get-LicenseDataManager

Script     11.2.0.... VMware.VimAutomation.Nsxt           {Connect-NsxtServer, Disconnect-NsxtServer, Get-NsxtPolicy...

Script     11.2.0.... VMware.VimAutomation.Sdk            {Get-ErrorReport, Get-InstallPath, Get-PSVersion}

Script     11.0.0.... VMware.VimAutomation.Security       {Get-SecurityInfo, Get-VTpm, Get-VTpmCertificate, Get-VTpm...

Script     11.2.0.... VMware.VimAutomation.Srm            {Connect-SrmServer, Disconnect-SrmServer}

Script     11.2.0.... VMware.VimAutomation.Storage        {Add-KeyManagementServer, Copy-VDisk, Export-SpbmStoragePo...

Script     1.3.0.0    VMware.VimAutomation.StorageUtility Update-VmfsDatastore

Script     11.2.0.... VMware.VimAutomation.Vds            {Add-VDSwitchPhysicalNetworkAdapter, Add-VDSwitchVMHost, E...

Script     11.2.0.... VMware.VimAutomation.Vmc            {Connect-Vmc, Disconnect-Vmc, Get-VmcSddcNetworkService, G...

Script     10.0.0.... VMware.VimAutomation.vROps          {Connect-OMServer, Disconnect-OMServer, Get-OMAlert, Get-O...

Script     6.5.1.7... VMware.VumAutomation                {Add-EntityBaseline, Copy-Patch, Get-Baseline, Get-Complia...

PS C:\Windows\system32>

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
23 Replies
SHamel5575
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

didnt work till i imported the certs.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This is very strange.
The certificate warning should be given when you connect to the vCenter.
With the Ignore setting that warning will be suppressed.

You mention certs, plural, did you also import the certificates from the ESXi nodes?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
SHamel5575
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I imported the Vcenter root certificate.   we have multiple vcenters in different sites so i imported all of them.  thats what i mean by Cert(s).  If i understand how 6.5 works.  the certificates on the esxi hosts are signed by a ca running on vcenter.  that i believe is the cert i imported.  we replaced the vcenter website certificate with a cert generated by Our CA. 

0 Kudos
Scottathew
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Add this line anywhere before your Export-Vapp and it will fix it, just make sure you're cool with the security implications.

Set-PowerCLIConfiguration -InvalidCertificateAction Ignore -Scope Session -Confirm:$false

I had the same issue, Export-Vapp broke after upgrading to the latest PowerCLI.

Unfortunately, the error that generates isn't helpful, at all, whatsoever.

0 Kudos