VMware Cloud Community
manak13
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Trying to copy clusters from one virtual center to another

Hello,

I am new to the windows world and have to migrate from a older 5.1 virtual center to 5.5.  I am running into a problem with copying clusters from the older virtual center to the new one using powercli and was hoping someone on this list can help.  Here is what I am trying to do:

(please let me know if there is a even better way to clone the cluster information from one virtual center to another)

--

$SourceClusters = Get-Datacenter RWC -server vc01 | Get-Cluster -Server vc01

foreach ($SourceCluster in $SourceClusters) {

New-Cluster -Name $SourceCluster.Name -Location "RWC" -Server vc02 -DRSEnabled -DRSautomationlevel "PartiallyAutomated" -confirm:$false

}

--

However when I run this I am getting the following error messages:

a) Could not find VIContainer with name RWC -- which I know exists and is my Datacenter name

b) New-Cluster VIContainer parameter: Could not find any of the objects specified by name.  I do know that the first get-datacenter command returns the valid cluster names so not sure why this is showing as empty.

Anything that I am missing here.

Thanks,

-Sim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hey Sim,

they is a so called "fling" named InventorySnapshot, that does exactly what you want: https://labs.vmware.com/flings/inventorysnapshot

It's worth a look.

Tim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hey Sim,

they is a so called "fling" named InventorySnapshot, that does exactly what you want: https://labs.vmware.com/flings/inventorysnapshot

It's worth a look.

Tim

0 Kudos
manak13
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Tim for your response and I will take a look at that fling.  However at a quick glance it seems to migrate everything from once vcenter to another.  I need to just migrate the folders, cluster names, roles, perms etc without moving the hosts/vms.  Those will be migrated in phases and one cluster at a time.  I can potentially take that inventory snapshot and then pull out the powercli code that is needed to do what I want.  Not sure if that will be possible but will try and let you know.

0 Kudos
manak13
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Was able to copy the folders and cluster information using this fling.  However it does not copy over the roles.  I have not yet tested a actual migration of hosts/vm's but will be doing that in the near future.  Based on what I have seen so far, it looks like this should work just fine.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos