VMware Cloud Community
Nementis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Troubles configuring the sSphere SDK for .NET

Hello all,

I'm really new at vSphere programming, and just installed the PowerCLI package and with it the .NET SDK.

Trying to build a simple test program I run into troubles trying to add VMware.Vim assembly to my project.

The path defined in the documentation (C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphere PowerCLI) even if contains the PowerCLI installation does not contain the VMware.Vim.dll file. The assembly is registerred in the GAC, but when I try to add the reference in the Visual Studio project I can't find it in any tab (not in the .NET tab nor in the COM one).

A file search on the computer hard disk did not return any path for the VMware.Vim.dll file....

Any hint on what I'm missing or doing wrong ?

thanks for help,

Antonello

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ykalchev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

There was a small issue in the PowerCLI 4.1 installer and VMware.Vim.dll assembly is not copied into PowerCLI installation folder.

However you can copy it from GAC folder using powershell or cmd.exe. It's located at:\assembly\GAC_MSIL\VMware.Vim\4.1.0.0__10980b081e887e9f. i.e:

cp C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\VMware.Vim\4.1.0.0__10980b081e887e9f\VMware.Vim.dll `C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphere PowerCLI`

Regards,

Yasen Kalchev

PowerCLI Dev Team

Yasen Kalchev, vSM Dev Team

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MartinAmaro
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello

I could be wrong but I was under the impression that the API.NET library is located at c:\program files\Vmware\Insfractructure\VIToolkitForWindows

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
ykalchev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

There was a small issue in the PowerCLI 4.1 installer and VMware.Vim.dll assembly is not copied into PowerCLI installation folder.

However you can copy it from GAC folder using powershell or cmd.exe. It's located at:\assembly\GAC_MSIL\VMware.Vim\4.1.0.0__10980b081e887e9f. i.e:

cp C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\VMware.Vim\4.1.0.0__10980b081e887e9f\VMware.Vim.dll `C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphere PowerCLI`

Regards,

Yasen Kalchev

PowerCLI Dev Team

0 Kudos
Nementis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you very much Yasen !

Found the DLL and now I'm able to start writing my software.

Antonello

0 Kudos
kareztt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am running an XP SP3 box and the files are not in the location noted. Any suggestions on where to get file. This is very frustrating as I can't do the management tasks that I need to get done unless I do them manually.

Tom

0 Kudos
ykalchev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

Which version of PowerCLI you have installed on the machine?

Can you try to connect to vSphere server using Connect-VIServer cmdlet in order to make sure PowerCLI is installed correctly?

You can also try to browse \assembly\GAC* folders searching for VMware.Vim folder since the assembly can be located in different GAC folder on x64 machine.

Regards,

Yasen Kalchev

PowerCLI Dev Team

0 Kudos