VMware Cloud Community
vmhyperv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

TotalAssignedMemMB, TotalUsedMB, OverCommitMB through vCheck5.0

Hi Vmware Team,
         I executed the  vCheck5.0 health check report(alan Rauf) and i was raised question after going through the report about the host overcommiting memory Calculation.They wanted to know the definitions of TotalAssignedMemMB, TotalUsedMB,OverCommitMB and how its  coming up with the numbes for these in HTML Report.Vmware over commits memory by design.The Host OverCommiting Memory section of the html seems to be suggesting a vastly worse situation than what actually exists. Please let me know so I can better understand these numbers. Thanks every one. PFA
Anything i missedout then let me know.Please help asap
thanks
vmguy

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

How did they determine the 'actual' value?  If you dont add up the proper values for overhead, reservations, etc, your' actual' value isn't actual.  Not to mention that the contents of the host could have changed due to HA/DRS since the check was run.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Zsoldier
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The reported numbers are just simple math.

TotalAssignedMemMB = SUM of VM's assigned vRAM on that host

TotalUsedMB = Is the total amount of memory in use @ time script is run

OverCommitMB = TotalAssignedMemMB - TotalMemMB

To clarify, it is a very simple report and it simply relies upon what you deem as acceptable overcommit ratios for your particular environment.

It makes much more sense when/if you look @ it from a hollistic cluster perspective.

If you are running standalone hosts, then you might be looking for trouble if you are overcommitting.

Message was edited by: Zsoldier

Chris Nakagaki (中垣浩一)
Blog: https://tech.zsoldier.com
Twitter: @zsoldier
vmhyperv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I would like to say thanks for prompt response.But again i have been question  after your mathimatical answer.I have actual report in excelsheet for ref.

They had randomly selected 3 ESXi hosts from the html report and found that the TotalAssignedMemMB numbers were incorrect.I have attched ref excelsheet.They said TotalAssignedMemMB is incorrect  and their observation is different which i have mentioned in tab Actual total Assigned MemMB.

Looking for your answer on this

thanks

vmguy

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

How did they determine the 'actual' value?  If you dont add up the proper values for overhead, reservations, etc, your' actual' value isn't actual.  Not to mention that the contents of the host could have changed due to HA/DRS since the check was run.

0 Kudos
vmhyperv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Perfect i agree with you becuase we have more than 2000 VMs and 140 ESXi host and it  take entire day for pulling out report.

Let see i answered the same what you suggested and i agree with your answer.

thanks

vmguy

0 Kudos
vmhyperv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Mcowger,

Once again i executed the vCheck script and i found this time its matching the Value for Total Assigned Mem with Manual calculation which our management questioned.So i would like to confirm is it because of HA/DRS Activity on the host? PFA

Thanks

vmguy

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I cant confirm that for you, because I cant get to your env and look around.

I can just give you an idea.

vmhyperv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks !!  and for sheding ligths on this and atleast i got an idea on this.

thanks

vmguy

0 Kudos