VMware Cloud Community
kgottleib
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Test Path within powercli script

I have am using a script, I didn't write it, but its been handed to me to use regularly, and within the script there is a simply function that is failing, that is, a path test and creation if the path doesn't exist.

This is the code that is NOT working:

#Create working directory

$0 = Test-Path "c:\working" if (! $0) { mkdir "C:\working" -ErrorAction:SilentlyContinue }

Ok, although i've worked with scripting here and there, I'm not a guru and often times its the smallest things that leave me stumpted.

IF someone with some wisdom could reply to help me understand 1) what to change to fix this so it works, 2)  what the 0$ refers to at the start of this line of code because I have not used it before and am wondering about it

Thanks in advace for assistance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There appears to be a CR-LF missing, the script should look like this

$0 = Test-Path "c:\working"

if (! $0) { mkdir "C:\working" -ErrorAction:SilentlyContinue }

The Test-Path cmdlet returns a Boolean ($true or $false) is the directory exists.

The result is stored is stored in variable $O

The If condition does a NOT of the value in $O, so if the directory didn't exist, $o would contain $false, and a NOT $false becomes a $true.

And then the directory is created.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

2 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There appears to be a CR-LF missing, the script should look like this

$0 = Test-Path "c:\working"

if (! $0) { mkdir "C:\working" -ErrorAction:SilentlyContinue }

The Test-Path cmdlet returns a Boolean ($true or $false) is the directory exists.

The result is stored is stored in variable $O

The If condition does a NOT of the value in $O, so if the directory didn't exist, $o would contain $false, and a NOT $false becomes a $true.

And then the directory is created.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

kgottleib
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks LucD for your rapid reply to this, my apologies for not logging in earlier to say thanks! 

0 Kudos