VMware Cloud Community
simonadams
Contributor
Contributor

Temporary files for PowerCli

Hi All

I keep having a problem where the 10GB free space of the C drive gets used up by temporary files created by PowerCLI scripts running.  The current file is called tmp369.tmp and has just gone over 8GB.

I have change the Windows environmental variables for temp and tmp to point to another drive, but these temporary files are still being written to the C drive.

Any idea how I change this ?

Thanks

Simon

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Are you by any chance using PowerGUI with the debugger ?

If you debug a script that has not been saved yet, the debugger will save it in the temp location.

What exactly is in those files in the temp location ?

Are these scripts or data ?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
simonadams
Contributor
Contributor

I don't have PowerGUI installed on the server I run the scripts from, but EcoShell is installed an I use  VESI editor when editing scripts.  That said, its not open when the swap files grow and no one is editing them anywhere else.

I didn't notice the problem before upgrade the different vCentres to v5 ... but it may have been happening before.  I did update the version of PowerCLI but there were no update to EcoShell (not sure its being maintained anymore?).  But once I've closed the VESI Editor, surely the script is just text and that won't be affecting how the script runs ?

I can't get into the files as they're always in use, and then disapear when you stop the script running (I can't even copy them)... but I can't believe that 8GB can be scripts (I can't imagine what data it could be either to be honest...

0 Kudos
durakovicduro83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How has LUCED said mybe you have enable autodebug

To remove all debug

# This command deletes all of the breakpoints in the current session.
get-breakpoint | remove-breakpoint

or deinstall Powercli

Cheers,

Denis

To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so
0 Kudos