VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Storage vMotion with PowerCLI

What is the easiest way to storage vmotion a VM with PowerCLI?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
piercj2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

The easiest Way is Move-VM

Below is a small script that I put together to help me with some VM Migrations I had recently.

I got a lot of help with this from others on this forum so thanks to those guys.

The script takes a list of VM Names from a text file and migrates them randomly to DataStores of your choosing.

i.e

• if your datastore names are DataStore1, DataStore2, Datastore3, LabStorage1, LabStorage2, TestStorage1
  • you want to move from TestStorage1 to one of the "DataStoreX" locations, in the script, set $storage equal to DataStore
  • The Script checks the amount of free space on all the "DataStoreX" locations and makes sure that it's greater than Provisioned Space + 20%
  • If the amount of free space is ok, VM's are randomly moved to the new locations

Hope this helps

$filelocation = Read-Host "Please enter the name of the target file, include the full path, E.g. c:\Temp\List.txt"

$VMs = get-vm (Get-Content $filelocation)

$storage = Get-Datastore | where {$_.name -match “Your_DataStore_Name_Goes_here"}

foreach ($v in $VMs) {

$random_Datastore_in_array = Get-Datastore -Name $storage.name | where {$_.freespacegb -GE ($v.provisionedspaceGB*1.20)} | Get-Random -Count 1

Write-Host "Storage vMotion of $v to $random_Datastore_in_array beginning"

Move-VM -VM $v -Datastore $random_Datastore_in_array -Confirm:$false

Get-VM $v | Get-Datastore |

select @{N="Date";E={(Get-Date).ToString()}},

@{N="VM";E={($v).Name}},

@{N="LUN";E={$random_Datastore_in_array.Name}},

@{N="FreeSpace (GB)";E={[math]::Round($random_Datastore_in_array.FreeSpaceGB)}} |

Export-Csv c:\Temp\Storage_migrations.csv -NoTypeInformation -Append

}

C:\Temp\Storage_migrations.csv

View solution in original post

3 Replies
linotelera
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi...

simply Move-VM cmdlet: http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-60/index.jsp#com.vmware.powercli.cmdletref.doc/Move-VM.html and use datastore as destination

Regards

piercj2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

The easiest Way is Move-VM

Below is a small script that I put together to help me with some VM Migrations I had recently.

I got a lot of help with this from others on this forum so thanks to those guys.

The script takes a list of VM Names from a text file and migrates them randomly to DataStores of your choosing.

i.e

• if your datastore names are DataStore1, DataStore2, Datastore3, LabStorage1, LabStorage2, TestStorage1
  • you want to move from TestStorage1 to one of the "DataStoreX" locations, in the script, set $storage equal to DataStore
  • The Script checks the amount of free space on all the "DataStoreX" locations and makes sure that it's greater than Provisioned Space + 20%
  • If the amount of free space is ok, VM's are randomly moved to the new locations

Hope this helps

$filelocation = Read-Host "Please enter the name of the target file, include the full path, E.g. c:\Temp\List.txt"

$VMs = get-vm (Get-Content $filelocation)

$storage = Get-Datastore | where {$_.name -match “Your_DataStore_Name_Goes_here"}

foreach ($v in $VMs) {

$random_Datastore_in_array = Get-Datastore -Name $storage.name | where {$_.freespacegb -GE ($v.provisionedspaceGB*1.20)} | Get-Random -Count 1

Write-Host "Storage vMotion of $v to $random_Datastore_in_array beginning"

Move-VM -VM $v -Datastore $random_Datastore_in_array -Confirm:$false

Get-VM $v | Get-Datastore |

select @{N="Date";E={(Get-Date).ToString()}},

@{N="VM";E={($v).Name}},

@{N="LUN";E={$random_Datastore_in_array.Name}},

@{N="FreeSpace (GB)";E={[math]::Round($random_Datastore_in_array.FreeSpaceGB)}} |

Export-Csv c:\Temp\Storage_migrations.csv -NoTypeInformation -Append

}

C:\Temp\Storage_migrations.csv

TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK great - thanks! 

0 Kudos