VMware Cloud Community
Shocko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Static MAC Address Automation

Guys, I have a use case where I would like assign static MAC addresses to systems. Looking at this is it indicating that MAC addresses are assigned from the DataCentre level ? Ideally I'd like to create a pool of MACS for a cluster to avoid potential overlap.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Generally, MAC address assigning is handled via two methods:

1. ESXi host that generates them with prefix scheme of 00:0c:29

2. vCenter Server that generates with prefix scheme of 00:50:56 to prevent MAC Address duplication problem (that you have mentioned in your question)

So when you let the vCenter handle this issue, there is no need to worry about it ...

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
Shocko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

But I wish to script creation of VMS with static MACs so i can create DHCP reservations for them. Can I request a MAC from vCentre? I guess I could allow vCentre assign the MAC then grab it from the VM and assign it back to it as static,.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Moved to PowerCLI

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

After you do a New-VM, the vNIC will get a MAC from vCenter.

Once the VM is created, and before powering it on, you can retrieve the assigned MAC with something like this.
Then create your DHCP reservation.

When the VM is powered on, it will get the assigned IP from DHCP

$mac = Get-NetworkAdapter -VM $vm | Select -ExpandProperty MacAddress

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Regardless of assigning methods of MAC address to VMs, you need to execute second part manually: Adding the leased IP address to the reservation list!

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos